• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbit Welfare Forum 18th Oct

Tamsin

Administrator
Staff member
Just came across this an thought it might be of interest to some of the rescues:

A key Rabbit Welfare Forum will take place at the Chesford Grange Hotel, Kenilworth, in the wake of the Pet Industry Federation’s Forum & Awards, during the afternoon of Friday, October 18.

The event has been organised by the Pet Care Trust and will focus on a study commissioned in 2010 by the RSPCA to identify the key issues affecting rabbit welfare in the UK. Husbandry, housing and health were some of the issues identified during the 14-month investigation by a team of welfare scientists, behaviourists and vets at the University of Bristol. The study explored the diverse ways in which rabbits are cared for in this country in order to provide insight into the priority welfare issues affecting rabbits in the UK.

The aim of the research was to provide a platform from which to develop a strategy to achieve maximal improvements in rabbit welfare.

The RSPCA would like to invite stakeholders in rabbit welfare to attend the presentation of the research at the Rabbit Welfare Forum, and be part of a major collaborative project, launching next year, to develop and deliver a UK-wide rabbit welfare strategy.

The Rabbit Welfare Forum will be chaired by veterinary surgeon, PCT director and chairman of Pet Health Council, John Foster MRCVS.

If you would like to attend, contact Alexandra Baker on 01234 273933 (alexandra.baker@petfederation.co.uk) as soon as possible to secure your place.

http://www.petbusinessworld.co.uk/news/feed/rabbit-forum-to-address-key-welfare-issues

I'm guessing this might be the research the RSPCA were doing prior to announcing things like hutch sizes? Hopefully once they've done the presentation the study will be available to read!

Interesting

I wonder who will be representing the PCT. Hopefully not the same person behind the P@H VIP/SVIP Rabbit debacle

I assume the RWAF will be attending ?

Back