• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hopper Haven Bunnies - Bunny 054 Henry

donnamt

Wise Old Thumper
Henry is a giant chinchilla buck. When he arrived in January 2010 at three years of age he could not move his back legs.
His owner's vet had tried all she was prepared to try and wanted him pts.
He was able to drag himself around by his front feet but his back legs didn't twitch they just trailed straight out behind him. The only sign that they could move was when we cut his back claws and one twitched.

HH set about helping him from all angles. The paralysis had come on gradually so it wasn't an injury. He was treated for EC and with steroids and antibiotics in case there was an infection involved. HH's vet agreed that too often people give up on these rabbits. The greatest worry was his skin getting sore so we trimmed off the fur on his bottom so nothing could stick to it. Washing a rabbit will quickly lead to sore skin, so that needed to be avoided. Following daily physio he improved and once he could lift his hind quarters up and semihop we moved him to a deep bedded stable in the barn and had his lovbun, Lola also came to live with him.

Once he was in the stable he could move much more and exercised himself as well. His skin never got sore. Henry is still wobbly but he can jump onto the shelf in his hutch. He and his Darling Lola live in one of the stables in the barn as Henry is apt to sit out in any weather and get soaked which is not at all good for him at his age, especialy as he has had a couple of nasty chest infections.

Henry is my sponsor bunny :love::love::love::love::love: I first fell for him the day Alvin went to meet Holly, and Hopper Haven really have worked miracles with him :D

What a wonderful story. :love::love::love:
There's tear in my eye, cos he's just like my childhood rabbit Peter.
Thank you HH for trying so hard for him, & thank you donamt for sponsering him.

he really is lucky... there is so much abuse and neglect about and i know HH bunnies have such awful starts that should never happen but i really do think any bunny that meets Louise is the luckiest bunny alive :love::love::love:

Back