• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Monty has been killed by a fox

Jasmine1

New Kit
:cry::cry:

It's my own fault. I came back from uni yesterday and had them free roaming in the garden. I ended up falling asleep and when I woke up it was 10pm :cry: I ran out and I heard this awful screaming and I saw something run across the back of the garden. I was frantically searching everywhere for them, but I couldn't find either of them. :( My dad ended up finding Monty behind the shed bleeding, he was breathing really shallowly. The next thing I know he was just gone! :cry: I searched everywhere for Bailey, but I couldnt find her. I thought she had been carried off by a fox, and that it came back for Monty and I scared it away. I had a dream last night that Bailey was hiding underneath the shed, and so when I woke up this morning I ran out to check, and I couldn't believe it but she came right out from under there when I moved the bricks from in front! It was crazy, I didn't expect her to be under there I just had to check. She must have run and hidden under there. She wasn't hurt or anything thankfully, and I am so shocked and absolutely thrilled that she is ok! But my poor monty.. I think he must have been trying to protect her, because he does that whenever he sees a bird or something, he sticks by bailey :cry:

So now my poor boy is gone, because I was irresponsible and fell asleep because I was overly tired. But that is no excuse, I should have looked after them.

Bailey has never ever lived alone in her life. She had her mum first, then straight in with monty. They were best friends and loved eachother so much :cry: My poor bailey is looking for him, she doesn't know he's not coming back :cry: I can't keep her. I need to find her a new home with a new male bun, if she stays with me, she'll just go like monty did. Its not safe for her here, and so it would be even worse for me to bring a new companion for her to live here :cry: I cant even bring her in the house even for the night (thats a long story):cry:She's going to be in the shed all alone tonight, she's going to be so scared my poor baby :cry:cry: I called up a few places, but they said they have a waiting list, the shortest being 3 months :cry: Thats too long. The foxes know where she is now i'm sure, and I can't bring in another rabbit for them to both be ripped to shreds :cry::cry: I'm never going to have any buns, or other pets again, it's not fair on them. I gave them everything, they were so spoilt and loved, but I couldn't do the simple task of keeping them safe. :cry::cry: I dont know how long my poor boy had suffered:cry::(

I feel so stupid! I just read that you should keep the body in with the other bunny for a few hours in order for them to understand that their friend has died, and that helps them to cope. We buried Monty straight away, I didn't read on what to do or anything before burying him :( I read that she may be grieving for months now, and just expecting him to come back because she doesnt know that he is dead because she did not see the body! She is in her shed right now with a blanket and a hot water bottle. I cant bare to see her like this.

Last edited:
You are human and you made a mistake. Monty was lucky to have such a great life even if it was short. He could have lived with someone else at the bottom of the garden in a tiny hutch alone for 12 years, never stretching his legs or knowing love, his short life beats that! Let yourself grieve before you decide what to do. Check that your other bunny is eating okay after such a shock and decide when you are ready to choose. So sorry for your loss. And thank you for being brave enough to share your story, you may have saved another buns life.

eta; Make sure the shed is fox proof as fox will come back. Make sure your bunny has lots of places to hide to help keep her feeling safe. Do you have a family member who can take her for a few days?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry :( I had a bunny stolen from her run by a fox last year. Managed to get fox to drop her by throwing things at him and she died in my arms :cry:

It's horrendous but you didn't do it on purpose, it was an accident. Vibes for you and Bailey xx

You are human and you made a mistake. Monty was lucky to have such a great life even if it was short. He could have lived with someone else at the bottom of the garden in a tiny hutch alone for 12 years, never stretching his legs or knowing love, his short life beats that! Let yourself grieve before you decide what to do. Check that your other bunny is eating okay after such a shock and decide when you are ready to choose. So sorry for your loss. And thank you for being brave enough to share your story, you may have saved another buns life.

eta; Make sure the shed is fox proof as fox will come back. Make sure your bunny has lots of places to hide to help keep her feeling safe. Do you have a family member who can take her for a few days?

Very well put. Just what i wanted to say too but i couldnt find the words.

Jasmine I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and bailey.

Im sure it happens far more often than we know about, you did what you could, people fall asleep, it happens, don't beat yourself up x

How terrible, I am so so so sorry for you, I can't imagine what you're going through. What an awful shock you've all had. I do like foxes generally, but not at times like this, I'm so so so so sorry for poor Monty and Bailey and you.

I know there is nothing anyone can do or say, you are grieving and in shock and blaming yourself. Anyone would do the same in your position. But from an outsider looking in, it's not your fault. You fell asleep, it happens, you were tired. It could have happened to anyone. You didn't pick Monty up and stuff him into the foxes mouth, it was a terrible tragic accident.

Milo+Fizz are right in what they say - he could have had an awful life with someone else, but instead he was with you and was much loved and well cared for. Please try to focus on that and not this, try and remember the good times you had and not this awful time.

Lots of virtual hugs and vibes for Bailey xxxx

Oh I am so sorry. What a terrible way to lose a rabbit. You could mesh the inside of the shed for extra safely (if you havent already) and perhaps double mesh the run.

I agree about giving yourself time to grieve.

Ofcourse you feel bad but I am sure you did your best for your rabbits you clearly love them very much.

Jasmin I am so sorry you have had to go through this, it was a very TRAGIC accident, it is NOT your fault, you made an error, that is all part of being a human. Unfortunately we learn from these errors and even though you were unable to save Monty, it will help Bailey as you will do everything in your power to prevent this happening again.

I there any way you could sleep in the shed with her for time being?

RIP little Monty xx

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: Unfortunately foxes are out there. One of my bunnies died of fright, even though she was in her hutch and I had another bunny whose ear was ripped off, but luckily she survived. After that they lived inside.

I have moved from that property and now have two bunnies living outside in a secure shed and the stable style door is locked with two padlocks. If your shed is secure and there are no wires but solid wood, a fox would not be able to get in.

im soo sorry for your loss, must of been awful, glad you found bailey to be safe, an awful thing to happen :cry: xx

Sincere Condolences on the loss of your little one. You are not to blame though, your bun was lucky to have you and if he was protecting his friend like you think then he did what he meant to.

I am so sorry :( but it was an accident. A mistake, everyone makes them. I once went out to a party leaving a piggy out in his run :shock: I came home early and rushed out to him and thankfully he was ok. It was wrong of me and I felt sooooo guilty but I was lucky.

One slip does not make you a terrible owner, it does not mean that Bailey isn't safe with you and it does not mean that you don't deserve them. It makes you human, nothing more and nothing less. Wait a few days before trying to give Bailey up, you are shocked, grieving and feel guilty right now. Emotions that most people feel when they lose a pet, especially if its traumatic. Most people have some serious regrets when it comes to past pets, I know I do, there are a few pets in my past where I made the wrong call and it cost them. I still feel guilty, but I still have pets, I KNOW I won't make the same mistakes again and so that pet has made me a better owner.

You love Bailey, you gave Monty a fantastic life. Xxx

Thank you all for your kind words. Bailey is absolutely heartbroken, I knew bunnies would miss their partners, but I never thought it could be this bad. :cry: She is so lost without him, she is looking everywhere for him, she's been sitting in one place all day long, I have tried to play with her, but she wants me nowhere near her which is understandable. She wont eat. I managed to get her to have a nibble of her favorite food, but I don't think she's drinking. I've been checking on her every half hour, and have been watching the garden all day long to make sure that nothing comes in. She is just so not her usually bubbly self, it hurts me so much to see her like this. She keeps looking for him:cry: I'm sitting here bawling my eyes out like a baby, and my poor girl is all alone. She has never been alone. She must be so scared. :cry: Is there anything I can do to make this easier for her? She doesn't seem to be hurt or anything, but I think she knows something has happened, and cant find him. :cry: I keep imagining her all alone in the shed tonight. They are usually fast asleep all cuddled up, now she is going to be alone my poor little one :cry: i just want to scoop her up and make it all better :cry::cry::cry:

Last edited:
Like a human it will take time for Bailey to feel less sad but make sure she is still eating, that is the most important thing for now. Is it at all possible to have her in your bedroom for awhile ?

The reason that she is not allowed in the house is because my family are foster carers, and we have a little baby with us at the moment, and to cut a long story short, its just not allowed :cry: I really wish I could just bring her in my room with me and make it all better. I was thinking I could stay in the shed with her, but she seems to be scared of me right now :cry:, and I dont want to make it worse for her.

If you are unable to have her in the house with you, or be in the shed with her, do you have something like a teddy bear or a hot water bottle and cover you could give her to snuggle up with instead? Just so she's not totally alone? I have just rescued a bun who lost his partner last month and I think he is also depressed so I am making sure I'm with him as much as possible, even if it's just another presence in the room and the occasional "hey baby, how you doing?"

Back