• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Can anyone sudgest a good hay rack?

moi

Mama Doe
Or something thats not a hay rack but hold hay brilliantly. Im currently using the ikea bag holders which are great but I am finding they pull out big chucnks into the litter tray and it just gets peed on and wasted. Id like a hay rack that keeps the majority of the hay in the rack. I dont want to just line the litter trays with hay as its not cheap and Id rather it got chewed than peed on x

I've used all sorts of things for hay racks. Those fat ball holders for birds, chrome bathroom baskets, large cutlery baskets, plastic peg basket type things etc but I'm constantly looking for something bigger, I don't know if a garden hay rack would be any use? But then they'd need a lid so the bun didn't get caught in it. :roll:

I've used all sorts of things for hay racks. Those fat ball holders for birds, chrome bathroom baskets, large cutlery baskets, plastic peg basket type things etc but I'm constantly looking for something bigger, I don't know if a garden hay rack would be any use? But then they'd need a lid so the bun didn't get caught in it. :roll:

I'm not sure what it's meant to be, but I have what looks like a larger version of the ikea bag holder (it's from ikea). It's the best thing I've had to date as it held enough for a third to a half of the day when I had my trio, stopped them jumping in and didn't let too much hay fall out. It holds enough to cover my entire work day for my pair.
hayrack-1.jpg

OP, how about a veg rack?
bunsenjoyinghay2.jpg

I definitely had the least waste with this, although you'd probably want to engineer something to stop the buns jumping in.

I'm not sure what it's meant to be, but I have what looks like a larger version of the ikea bag holder (it's from ikea). It's the best thing I've had to date as it held enough for a third to a half of the day when I had my trio, stopped them jumping in and didn't let too much hay fall out. It holds enough to cover my entire work day for my pair.
hayrack-1.jpg

OP, how about a veg rack?
bunsenjoyinghay2.jpg

I definitely had the least waste with this, although you'd probably want to engineer something to stop the buns jumping in.

Ooh they look great :thumb: thanks for that :D

I just use the ikea bag holder as a hay rack, Works really well for us. I always make sure It is fully stuffed so if they do jump on top (which Pixie does quite often) they wont catch their legs through one of the holes and injure theirself. I pull the hay strands out to make it easier for them to pull and eat the hay out. You have also got to watch that they can't get into the open end and get stuck so a good idea to stuff it full or to fix it on so the open end is against a wall of some sort.

Here is a picture of my pair (Pickle & Pixie) 's hay area -

542231_630601240317517_238017680_n.jpg

Eta - I did not read your post and did not realise you already use this hay rack. :oops: :lol:!

Back