• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken leg

Em89

Warren Scout
My rabbits escaped into the garden whilst being out away and Charlie binkyed (not a word I know!) so hard he has broken his leg. And I'm stuck at work and can't be with him. My brother has rushed him to the vet but I feel sad knowing he is hurting :cry:

Thank you for your kind words! Rang the vets this morning and he is fine. Leg strapped up but he's eating well and is settled. I think ginge is missing him though :( I told my mum to take them both but they didn't want to risk him hurting his leg. They do like to climb on each other! Just got to wait to hear back from the vets about when and where his operation will be.

So sorry to hear about that. Our Daisy dislocated her right hip 4 weeks ago and had to have surgery on it. She had to stay at the vets for 3 nights, so I know how you must be feeling.

I hope Charlie gets better soon.

Update

So he went in for surgery today and from the x rays it looked simple however the vet just rang me and said it isn't. He tried pinning it but says it wouldn't be strong enough to hold. He's going to try and find some small plates (or something along those lines) but not sure if he will be able to. If not the only option is going to be to amputate the leg from the knee. I'm devastated :cry:

Does anyone have any 3 legged bunnies that can give me some sort of hope?

So he went in for surgery today and from the x rays it looked simple however the vet just rang me and said it isn't. He tried pinning it but says it wouldn't be strong enough to hold. He's going to try and find some small plates (or something along those lines) but not sure if he will be able to. If not the only option is going to be to amputate the leg from the knee. I'm devastated :cry:

Does anyone have any 3 legged bunnies that can give me some sort of hope?

Aww bless him :( hoping something works out and sending vibes.

I've heard of people with 3 legged buns who get on just fine, so it needn't be a big scare. Hopefully someone with the experience will be along soon xxx

I am so sorry to here this, poor bun! Really hope your vet can fix him. Sending plenty of vibes xxxx

There are some three legged bunnies on RU. Jack's Jane has a three legged bunny called Harry. Bunnies with 3 legs cope well.

I am sorry to hear that Charlie has broken his leg, I don't have any experience in broken legs and 'tripod' bunnies fortunately.

But I wanted to send lots of vibes for Charlie, I hope whatever the decision he makes a quick recovery.

Pinning is often an option with a skilled vet - Parsley had something like 28 pins and two plates after a triple fracture of three bones in his hind leg (a very complex fracture).

usually if they are amputating they amputate the whole leg as a stump will just get in the way and get sore when stood on.

Tripod buns with whole leg amputations tend to do very well but need physio as they develop to ensure they do not get other issues and spinal twisting and front splay leg.

I have a tripod bunny. He lost his front leg after a freak accident when it was very windy (a bit of roofing hit him). After 3 attempts to set the leg, it was amputated. The cast kept coming off and the bones would not realign. They were also very small bones with a complicated break so pinning wasn't really a viable option. He is now fit and well - you wouldn't know he has a missing leg. He does have a companion who helps with grooming the bits he can't get to. I make sure he stays active and doesn't put on weight so that he remains healthy. Tripod bunnies do really well once they have recovered from the operation.

Aww poor bun, hope he recovers well. I have 3 tripod buns. Mr Wilbur, in the link above, Scooby and Chad. They all cope just fine. All climb and race round the garden like loons. All were from previous accidents and they all adapted really well to their new situation. :D

Update

In case anyone would like to know last night I drove my little bun Charlie 3hours to Swindon to see a bunny expert who had all the kit and knowledge and was able to repair Charlie's leg with plates and pins and all sorts! I don't want to be too hopeful but it seems he will be ok and won't have to be a tripod bunny! Obviously I know he's not out of the woods yet. It was so sad seeing him all depressed and in pain. However not even a broken leg could stop him trying to get out of the Carrier when I opened the top! Such a naughty bun when will he learn!!

Back