• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help with my doe Lua, is she going to have kits or not?!

So my doe was with a male rabbit that I thought was a girl, I saw him mount her and then separated them. Over the next few weeks my doe gained weight and I suspected she was pregnant.
A few days a go she made a nest and plucked fur. Today its at least the 34th day after they were separated and still no babies. She still seems pretty big and is still plucking more fur.
Is it possible that she is very over due and if so what should I do? Could it be a VERY long false pregnancy? I never actually saw her being bred so don’t know what to think. :( Any advise would help! Thanks!

How old is she?

I would probably ring and ask for advice when they are open. If she is pregnant and very close to giving birth, then you don't want to cause her any stress. I have no experience with pregnant bunnies but I do hope that she isn't pregnant, as finding homes for the babies will be very difficult. Have you given her somewhere to make her nest etc?

If she isn't pregnant I would advise you to get the buck neutered and her speyed, so you can try to rebond them again. Is the other definitely a buck? Rabbits do mount one another to assert dominance.

How old is she?

I would probably ring and ask for advice when they are open. If she is pregnant and very close to giving birth, then you don't want to cause her any stress. I have no experience with pregnant bunnies but I do hope that she isn't pregnant, as finding homes for the babies will be very difficult. Have you given her somewhere to make her nest etc?

If she isn't pregnant I would advise you to get the buck neutered and her speyed, so you can try to rebond them again. Is the other definitely a buck? Rabbits do mount one another to assert dominance.

She is about 2 years old. She has a nest box and everything. I hope the babies are fine if they do come. If she is not pregnant that would be even better like you say but I just never heard of a false pregnancy going on more then 17-18 days. I will call the vets as soon as I can.

Yes the other bunny is a boy for sure. Thanks for your input!!

It is toward the very upper end of the possibility of normal pregnancy. If she shows any symptoms of ill health I'd treat that as an emergency as it could indicate an issue with giving birth. Otherwise, I think I'd book a normal vet appointment for Monday and get the vet to check her out - they should be able to feel at that late stage if there are any babies.

It is toward the very upper end of the possibility of normal pregnancy. If she shows any symptoms of ill health I'd treat that as an emergency as it could indicate an issue with giving birth. Otherwise, I think I'd book a normal vet appointment for Monday and get the vet to check her out - they should be able to feel at that late stage if there are any babies.

Ok thanks!

Back