• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Slightly runny poo

Fluffs

Alpha Buck
Hi
My 4 year olds poo was a bit runny when i went to check on her litter tray today. Her poo has always been fine and healthy and infact she's never been ill all her life.
I don't know if I should be worried, (well i am, but i don't know if it's serious)

How it looks:
some normal ,if a bit small, hardish poos stuck together by runny,well,poo.
I would post a picture but i can't at the mo, i'll try a bit later on

Please help, I know nothing about rabbit health/poo really
x

Is it the cecotropes? Does the runny poo smell and is it darker and shaped like a bunch of grapes?

It's not her cecotropes, it's a bunsh of normal poo stuck together by some same colour paste
it's quite dark but just the same as her normal poos (she doesn't eat hay, so their not golden)
I t does smell but only if I stick my head in it (though i have got a slight cold :/)

x

Last edited:
Maybe it's a mixture of the two. Did you give her anything different yesterday?

I would take her to the vets tomorrow, I'm not sure if it's an emergency but someone else on here would know. I know runny poop can be a sign of EC but I don't know exactly how it looks. Doughnut was doing a lot of paste poops, a mixture of both when she was ill and constipated and they thought she initially had EC.

Hopefully a poop expert will come along to put your mind at rest and if you can wait.

Sorry I'm not much help. There are older threads with pictures of poop to let you know what's normal and what's not, not sure if it's one of the stickies.

Thanks so much x

I can't remember a lot but yesterday i cut her some grass and remember thinking it was quite wet (it had rained) Maybe this caused it?
apart from that she only had nuggets, we didn't have any veg yesterday.

Yes I think it may be the grass then. If it was her normal poop that was runny then that is serious but that wouldn't smell. Her poop will be darker anyway on a diet of grass and pellets.

Just keep an eye on her, if she's acting normal then I think it's the cecotropes mixed in. I would say just give her hay for today but obviously you can't since she doesn't eat it!

Maybe have another little sniff to check out the smell and put your mind at rest:D

Hay is such an important part of a rabbit's diet - is there any reason she doesn't eat it?

Becuase when we adopted her she lived her whole life on a huge bowl of nuggets everyday :(
so she never got used to eating hay and won't touch it now-however much i try:(

she loves grass though.

Yes I think it may be the grass then. If it was her normal poop that was runny then that is serious but that wouldn't smell. Her poop will be darker anyway on a diet of grass and pellets.

Just keep an eye on her, if she's acting normal then I think it's the cecotropes mixed in. I would say just give her hay for today but obviously you can't since she doesn't eat it!

Maybe have another little sniff to check out the smell and put your mind at rest:D

thanks i'll do this, maybe i was making a fuss over nothing!:)
i'll see what her poops like in the morning
x

thanks i'll do this, maybe i was making a fuss over nothing!:)
i'll see what her poops like in the morning
x

No you weren't it's better to be safe than sorry. You can tell about your rabbit's health by the state of it's poop, so always keep an eye on it and if in doubt go to the vets.

I know I would much rather get things checked then leave it and regret it.

Becuase when we adopted her she lived her whole life on a huge bowl of nuggets everyday :(
so she never got used to eating hay and won't touch it now-however much i try:(

she loves grass though.

Perhaps try a free sample pack of hay from HayforPets to see which one she favours.

Unfortunately, if she fills up on pellets there is no way she will eat hay.

I still think it is worth trying to encourage her to eat hay, even if she didn't when she came to you.

She would have to eat a huge amount of grass to make up for no hay.

By very gradually reducing her pellets and, instead, providing her with some really tasty hay, you should be able to get to eat it. But, you'd have to be prepared to persevere and ignore those big eyes calling out for more pellets.

Perhaps try a free sample pack of hay from HayforPets to see which one she favours.

I still think it is worth trying to encourage her to eat hay, even if she didn't when she came to you.

By very gradually reducing her pellets and, instead, providing her with some really tasty hay, you should be able to get to eat it. But, you'd have to be prepared to persevere and ignore those big eyes calling out for more pellets.

I do agree to keep trying. What hay have you tried. Also to reduce the pellets gradually then she may start eating it. Doughnut loves the wilkinsons timothy hay it's only £2.80 and someone else on here has ordered some and their fussy rabbits loved it too. Some rabbits like hay cookies, Doughnut never did but it may be a way to try and get her onto more hay.

I do agree to keep trying. What hay have you tried. Also to reduce the pellets gradually then she may start eating it. Doughnut loves the wilkinsons timothy hay it's only £2.80 and someone else on here has ordered some and their fussy rabbits loved it too. Some rabbits like hay cookies, Doughnut never did but it may be a way to try and get her onto more hay.

I've tried all the types of packaged hay in every pet shop and supermarkets around me, she just doesn't eat it at all. I thought the hay we've got now, big bag and it's got long green strands in it +smells lovely would be a winner, but once again she's ignored it:(
Unfortunately we don't have the space to store a farm vale, or the means to carry it.
I got her some hay cookies and hay bakes but she left those as well.
I've also tried mixing it with greens,herbs i've sprayed some pure apple juice on it but she still won't touch it.:cry::cry:
She doesn't really eat much nuggets anway-but sh'es not skinny.

I'm thinking of changing to science selective nuggets so she can have more fibre?

i had given up really but i think I might get some sample packs-anyehere else you reccommend?

thanks xxx

Last edited:
hay 4 pets does 3 sample packs and a lot of bunnies like them. Also timothyhay.co.uk seems to be a hit at the moment on this forum, someone did a thread on it.

Maybe grate a little bit of carrot in it to see if that works. Or stuff toilet rolls with the hay, something fun for her to play with.

Have you already tried the free HayforPets sample pack, on-line?

Rabbits will not eat hay if they are able to fill up on pellets. Rather like a child filling up on sweeties and then refusing 'proper' food.

It really is worth persevering because hay should be 80-90% of her diet to keep her in the best possible health.

Mine prefer the HayforPets Timothy and Rye, although I do get them the meadow hay as well - they do like a variety. They certainly won't touch P@H hay - or any other pet shop hays. They are really good hay eaters - but only because I ration their pellets to an eggcupful each a day. If I left them with a bowl of pellets - no matter how big the bowl, they would finish them and refuse hay.

Have you already tried the free HayforPets sample pack, on-line?

Rabbits will not eat hay if they are able to fill up on pellets. Rather like a child filling up on sweeties and then refusing 'proper' food.

It really is worth persevering because hay should be 80-90% of her diet to keep her in the best possible health.

Mine prefer the HayforPets Timothy and Rye, although I do get them the meadow hay as well - they do like a variety. They certainly won't touch P@H hay - or any other pet shop hays. They are really good hay eaters - but only because I ration their pellets to an eggcupful each a day. If I left them with a bowl of pellets - no matter how big the bowl, they would finish them and refuse hay.

But i'm worried that if I don't give her any nuggets one day, she'll just go hungry because she won't think to eat hay and will still refuse it?

But i'm worried that if I don't give her any nuggets one day, she'll just go hungry because she won't think to eat hay and will still refuse it?

No - you mustn't just not give her pellets one day. Any change (apart from increasing hay) has to be done very gradually.. What amount do you think you are feeding her at present? If you get her hay she likes, she will not refuse to eat it if she is a bit more hungry because of fewer pellets. You really do have to stick with it.

No - you mustn't just not give her pellets one day. Any change (apart from increasing hay) has to be done very gradually.. What amount do you think you are feeding her at present? If you get her hay she likes, she will not refuse to eat it if she is a bit more hungry because of fewer pellets. You really do have to stick with it.

But i don't know what she likes because she doesn't eat any of it:? :(
I give her a handful in the morning, a small handful at night if it's gone *of nuggets

But i don't know what she likes because she doesn't eat any of it:? :(
I give her a handful in the morning, a small handful at night if it's gone *of nuggets

As I said, my rabbits will not touch any of the pet shop hays, which is why I suggested HayforPets.

Back