• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Pets at homes reply

Rexripley

Mama Doe
I emailed pets at home regarding fluffy Penelope being pts three weeks after we got her and the £200 vet bill that was paid due to being back and forth and eventually being pts on a Sunday. I got no reply

Phoned the aberdeen branch and the woman's response was unless we know exactly why apart from "she stopped eating" they won't do anything about it, and that's life, animals die :(

I'm guessing without a pm there's nothing I can do?

I emailed pets at home regarding fluffy Penelope being pts three weeks after we got her and the £200 vet bill that was paid due to being back and forth and eventually being pts on a Sunday. I got no reply

Phoned the aberdeen branch and the woman's response was unless we know exactly why apart from "she stopped eating" they won't do anything about it, and that's life, animals die :(

I'm guessing without a pm there's nothing I can do?

Not at all. I lost a guinea pig who died when they x-rayed her. She had a middle ear infection that apparently had been there well before we got her and terrible teeth. We didn't have a PM we just took in the receipts from the emergency vets and refused to leave until they refunded us. It's very bad publicity if you're stood in the store pointing out that they have terrible breeders and standards.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this, it's not nice.

Not at all. I lost a guinea pig who died when they x-rayed her. She had a middle ear infection that apparently had been there well before we got her and terrible teeth. We didn't have a PM we just took in the receipts from the emergency vets and refused to leave until they refunded us. It's very bad publicity if you're stood in the store pointing out that they have terrible breeders and standards.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this, it's not nice.

I've left a comment on their facebook page. Ill be getting the receipt from the vets tomorrow and going in at night.

I've left a comment on their facebook page. Ill be getting the receipt from the vets tomorrow and going in at night.

Going in is definately the best way. I know this is rather a bleak way of looking at it but under the sale of goods act anything that is sold must be "fit for purpose", this applies to animals too. Therefore for a rabbit to be "fit for purpose" under the sale of goods act, it should last a lot longer than 3 weeks and should not cost you £100's in the first few weeks and then have to be pts so young. Therefore under the sale of goods act you are entitled to a full refund of the purchase price of said rabbit and can argue that as veternary attention was essential that they should also refund that, as its an expense you should never have faced if said rabbit was "fit for purpose" under the sale of goods act.

I know its a really horrible way to look at the life of a living creature but "sale of goods act" and "fit for purpose" tend to work very well in getting your money back. I did once use it for an animal, when a company refused me a refund on an animal that died two weeks after purchase, when they tried to say i must have kept it wrong! So then just kept saying "under the sale of goods act, this animal is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. Therefore you are legally required to refund me" they gave in, in the end.

Going in is definately the best way. I know this is rather a bleak way of looking at it but under the sale of goods act anything that is sold must be "fit for purpose", this applies to animals too. Therefore for a rabbit to be "fit for purpose" under the sale of goods act, it should last a lot longer than 3 weeks and should not cost you £100's in the first few weeks and then have to be pts so young. Therefore under the sale of goods act you are entitled to a full refund of the purchase price of said rabbit and can argue that as veternary attention was essential that they should also refund that, as its an expense you should never have faced if said rabbit was "fit for purpose" under the sale of goods act.

I know its a really horrible way to look at the life of a living creature but "sale of goods act" and "fit for purpose" tend to work very well in getting your money back. I did once use it for an animal, when a company refused me a refund on an animal that died two weeks after purchase, when they tried to say i must have kept it wrong! So then just kept saying "under the sale of goods act, this animal is not fit for the purpose for which it was sold. Therefore you are legally required to refund me" they gave in, in the end.

Yeah that's the way she spoke to me like I didn't know how to look after her. Ill mention all that, thanks :)

Definitely go along the Sales of Goods Act, its not disrespecting your baby, its getting your money back to help your other bunnies

That's shocking, so sorry you've had to go through this, really hope you can get a satisfactory response from them.

Pets at home guinea pig

I know this is not about rabbit but my 12 week old guinea pig died today I've had her 6 weeks I got her from pets at home in Leicester I'm so sad

I am just replying quickly, but I have had the same situation.

I have a thread on here and in health that explain what happened as it's too long to type again.

But I took the vet bills into my local pets at home branch and they refunded from there without even really caring what had happened. I was actually quite upset by this as they seemed very quick to throw money at us to get us to leave and didn't want us to write to head office. Which I am now in the process of doing.

I am very sorry for your loss :( It's just as sad when you've had them such a short amount of time as it's completely unexpected :(

Back