• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice please, should I put another Rabbit in with my bonded male & female

clare22

Young Bun
Hi, my friend as told me about a Rabbit that is running around her garden & her neighhours. She asked me if I could find it a home,I went to look at it as I was against taking a Rabbit from the wild BUT I am sure it is not a wild one as it is too tame, I think someone has dumped it.It`s only a young one.It comes straight to anyone for food.One of the gardens has a Westie in it which will kill it. My other half says we don`t have room for another hutch but is happy for me to put it with my female & male (theres plenty of room) but it would have to be female though coz only the male is neutered. Is this a bad idea or should I leave it or take it to a rescue.....advice please

Definitely do NOT put it in with your two. You would need to introduce them slowly in a neutral space - putting the new rabbit directly into your current bunnies set up could end up in a fight and fall out.

Don't put it in with your pair! They'll most likely fight, if they're in the same enclosure, because it's just like a random bun invading their space. Could you catch it and keep it inside your house maybe, inside a dog crate or indoor cage, until you can rehome it anyway?

Definitely don't put it in with your others!

Another problem would be if it has any diseases they may be passed on to your bunnies so it would be wise to quarantine the rabbit before you even think about bonding with your 2? Cant see there would be a problem slowly bonding with your bunnies afterwards though if you wished to keep it. If you have plenty of room could you section a part off maybe after you know that the new one is well?

I would not put it in with your 2.
You risk your pairs bond breaking and could possibly end up with 3 single bunnies.
If you don't have the space for 3 singles then definitely don't risk bonding a trio.

Also your girl would be best off being spayed.
Unspayed females are at risk of getting uterine cancer which is a slow and painful killer, usually showing no signs until it's too late :(

Thanks for your replies, I do have a crate to put him/her in if they started to fight & they have the run of the garden to get to know each other but I definitely do not want to spoil the relationship that my two already have, deep down I thought it was a bad idea. As my partner always tells me....you can`t rescue the world !!!!!!

Plus if that rabbit isn't neutered it'll cause more fights, since two unspayed unrelated females will just fight and if it's a male, then breed and fight with your other male :/

Back