• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stressful morning, 2 rabbits dumped on me.

Fennic

Warren Scout
Hi guys, I just came home to a kid bothering me, one of the nasty ones living around here, he asked me if I wanted 2 rabbits, I caid I can rehome them for you. God only know what would have happened to them if I didn't knowing how their family is. I'm in aboslutely no financial state to take them on, they seem healthy from well, looking at them I spotted saw dust in the lionheads fur though, poor fella. They're wolfing down the hay that i've put in as well as eaten broccli. I really feel bad for them. They're either mini lops or young rabbits. I have no idea of the genders which i'm concerned about. I've not handled them I was told they're boys but the black one looks like a doe, appears to have a dewflap. They're happily grooming eachother, I doubt they've been vaccinated or netured/spayed though. The poor things are in a spare rat cage of mine as apparently "the hutch wasn't theirs" which left me perplexed. (it's fairly big in height they don't stand as tall as it but it;s nowhere near as long for a rabbit so please don't picture rabbits in a "hamster" cage, it comfortablly fits 4 rats, again it's the only thing I have without evicting my doe from hers)

Some pictures, i've sent SOAD a message for the rehoming board but if anyone else is interested feel free to PM me. I've tried to get in contact with Freshfields animal rescue to no avail, left a message on the answer machine.

Just got a call from freshfields seems they are completely overloaded at the moment.

I'm getting irritating ideas clocking over in my mind, is a 3 way intro harder? I managed to do my own introductions with my doe who i'd only had for a few months and it took about 3 months before she accepted my buck before we lost him this year. I'm just speculating here. Shes been without a friend for about 3 months now, we've been looking on and off for single bucks but since the job seekers decided to sanction my fianceé we've had to break into savings instead. Luckily, any vetinary care goes onto a tab, we've got a brilliant vet who allows us to pay it off at our convenience without any pressure or complaint.

I'm just worried they may end up here for some time. They also have ignored their water at the moment, do you think it's wise I put a water bowl in for them instead? bottles been completely ignored and I noticed one of them had noticed it he simply sniffed it and went back to eating earlier. Last thing I want is a dehydrated rabbit. Also, i've looked at their noses, they appear clean BUT is there risk to my doe? I've kept them out of the same air space, shes vaccinated but due for a re-vacc in November. (Shes upstairs they're downstairs) BUT she freeranges downstairs so i'm not quite sure what to do. I know I could be just being cautious but I prefer that than a very sick rabbit. Shes a house rabbit, no idea what these have been in I presume outside luckily the weather is mild for both to potentially adjust right?

Can anyone throw me some advice in case they might be parking here for more than a few days. Sorry for the long post.

I have 3 of my own and fostered 2 last year who came directly from a very bad situation.
I quarantined them away from mine until I had them wormed and injected up. I actually went as far as making sure I saw to my own first so they didn't smell the others on me as strange rabbit smell might have caused problems with my 3's bond.
I would think if the 2 newbies are male that once neutered they would be worth trying to bond with yours.. if that is what you want and can afford it.

Well done for taking them and good luck with whatever you decide.

Lovely buns but yes prepare for them to be with you for a while.

Total isolation is required. Wash hands between dealing with them and your own, use separate cleaning tools and keep dirty bedding etc away from yours. When we we took in a stray we did this and wore different clothes when with the new bunny until he had completed a 28 day course of panacur and remained well. That was February and he is still with us.

I took in a stray and have ended up bonding her with my pair. :roll:

Definitely be prepared to be keeping them for a long time...and spending money on them. I really wasn't in a financial position to get a bun speyed, vaccinated and have a dental done on her. I've ended up spending about £120 on her. The RWAF helped me out with paying for some of the spey, so it might be worth contacting them and asking if they can help you out. I would also contact a rescue and perhaps offer to foster them in exchange for them being advertised on their websites and covering vet costs etc.

It is important to completely quarantine them until you are sure they are healthy. Definitely get them vet checked asap, mainly to have them sexed and have their teeth checked etc. The black one looks like a nethie, but just looking at the pics, I'd say they are full grown. Is there any way you can sex them yourself? I would try to, and if you suspect them to be different sexes, separate them. I know it sounds harsh (especially as they sound bonded) but you can't risk the doe getting pregnant, or giving birth with the buck in because he will mate her immediately and you'll end up with another lot of babies.

I'm sorry this has happened. It's not fair is it? People just expect everybody else to pick up their mess and pay for their mistakes. :(

What a stressful situation for you! But it must feel good to know you've probably saved their lives. :)
They're lovely, I admire you for taking them on, even if its only for a little while.

Definitely get them to vet asap before considering any introductions!!

Even if resuces are too full to take them, could you ask them to do the bonding for you???

Thanks for the replies all, there wouldn't be any intro's going on without spaying/neturing + hormone cooldown time. Is there any other non-visible worms or parasites they may have that could be contracted by free-ranging at different times in the same area? I'm aware you can check for worms within the feces and such.

It would be more myxi and VHD, that I'd worry about atm. I'd give them a few weeks after they've been vaccinated before even thinking about letting them in the same area. EC could also be an issue, and sometimes people will worm a new bun before they are allowed to meet other bunnies etc. Personally I wouldn't as panacur is not any good as a preventative, so I would only worm them if they showed symptoms of EC or other parasites. This is a another reason why I would leave them completely quarantined for a few weeks.

Ah! I didn't even give EC a thought, thank you Vegan_Bunny, I'll have to set something up for my doe to free-range elsewhere it seems. I'll try and get an appointment for Monday at the vets tomorrow, as our vets are only open for an hour on Sat and closed on Sun.

Ah! I didn't even give EC a thought, thank you Vegan_Bunny, I'll have to set something up for my doe to free-range elsewhere it seems. I'll try and get an appointment for Monday at the vets tomorrow, as our vets are only open for an hour on Sat and closed on Sun.

Yes, I found it very stressful having a bun with no history to look after, when I had my own to think about!

Keep us updated won't you? :thumb:

Thank you, I will.

I've just had them both out in the kitchen taking a look at their stomachs while getting them to stand for a few leaves I didn't feel right trying to pick them up. I gave one a nose rub and he cowered, god knows what they've been through. The Lionhead is actually roughly the same size as a dutch rabbit when standing although very thin looking, is this normal? I know theres "slender" breeds but no idea if he fits into this. He was also very timid about the whole ordeal but I imagine that probably is normal. The nethie hopped around and was quite ok to take food off us and stand for it but was timid when touched on the nose and aforementionedly cowered. They also wasn't interested in climbing out of the base of the cage. I do feel bad that they're in a rat cage. They seem in good health overall as far as I can see externally. I'm sure I seen when he was standing testicles on both, but I can't say for sure.

Either way I was thinking, the girl said she had no time for them anymore when she brought them around making me think they've been together for a set amount of time already, i'm not disregarding the chance of pregnancy or the likes, but just thinking it may be doubtful.

So morning went eventful.

I had to sex them this morning as they my brother told me the black one had been mounting the lionhead, which I then witnessed. They appear to be both bucks, I'm 90% sure of it. I seen a testicle on the black boy and well, I couldn't find any on the lionhead, BUT I know they hide them when frightened, and he's timid as heck. I've noticed they're also moulting which makes me think they could be over 4 - 6 months due to the mounting and moulting. We've hopefully got someone coming over to help sex them and give them something more appropriate to live in as well.

Well done for taking them in and caring for them. It sounds as though, even if not ideal, they're living better with you than they were at their previous "home". Sorry I can't help, but thinking of you and sending lots of vibes and best wishes :thumb:

Thanks for the thoughts Sarah1989

I'm starting to wonder, I was stood at the door watching them, the Nethie isn't letting up on humping the lionheads head and rump. Do you think it would be wise to separate? I don't want them stressed apart, but I don't want them to fight or the Lionhead to bite the Nethies bits off.

Thanks for the thoughts Sarah1989

I'm starting to wonder, I was stood at the door watching them, the Nethie isn't letting up on humping the lionheads head and rump. Do you think it would be wise to separate? I don't want them stressed apart, but I don't want them to fight or the Lionhead to bite the Nethies bits off.

Erm, I'm new to keeping bunnies in pairs, but from what I've read on here and my gut reaction would be to separate, but leave them so they can still see each other so hopefully it doesn't stress them too much. If they're not neutered or spayed then they could be getting to the age where they fight and may not like each other any more anyway.

Erm, I'm new to keeping bunnies in pairs, but from what I've read on here and my gut reaction would be to separate, but leave them so they can still see each other so hopefully it doesn't stress them too much. If they're not neutered or spayed then they could be getting to the age where they fight and may not like each other any more anyway.

My reaction would be this too. Once a fight has broken out your screwed. I would house them side by side just seperated by a partition if possible until you can get them sexed for definite and neutered.

Well done on taking on all this!

I'll not be able to separate until tomorrow as unfortunately they're stuck in a large rat cage as it is as I had no other accommodation but thanks for the advice, I'll definitely do it tomorrow. The poor lionhead doesn't look too great or happy. His breathing is noticeable as well, is that a sign of nerves or could he possibly be respy? Either way vets on Monday.

Back