• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rant >:(

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
Sorry people this is pointless but need to rant to people who will share my annoyance! Someone I know goes to farm auctions and 'rescues' animals that r likely to be killed for meat. She got horses and chickens and has today told me they went yesterday and 'rescued' 20 rabbits :shock: Paid £2 each. I said what r u going to do with them all and she said someone's finding homes for half of them and the rest have gone to this woman who runs a 'rescue' but doesn't have a clue. She herself got a dog from this woman, unspayed female barked none stop and she had to rehome again cos if complaints from neighbours :( They've got rabbits themselves they rescued in the past and I've tried to tell her about rabbits needs but she doesn't seem to listen. She's put a status on Facebook that rabbits need homes and the woman who runs the 'rescue' has put this in the comments...

EA387F18-E260-4B76-B78E-B6EDC86775F1-91342-0000500C0571D00C_zpsdc214015.jpg

Obviously has no clue, how is she going to find good homes and advice new owners. Answer: she won't, she'll give them to anyone who comes along to take them off her hands.

I know their hearts r in the right place but these poor rabbits have no chance :( She said they're scrawny and one was dead by the time they got back. I asked how they got them all home, she said in boxes in the car. Poor things must have been, and probably still are scared to death, god knows how they're being kept now, I dread to think :cry: I hope they haven't just stuck them together cos we all know what can happen then... I'm just fuming, I know there's nothing I can do but I'm so upset but I don't want to say to much to her cos she thinks she's doing a good thing. I'm always sharing rabbit welfare posts on Facebook hoping she'll take note but some people just don't want to know do they :(

I really hate people rescuing animals when they have nothing better to offer and if the males and females are together it will just result in a much larger problem for some poor rescue to try and sort out. Infuriating xx

I really hate people rescuing animals when they have nothing better to offer and if the males and females are together it will just result in a much larger problem for some poor rescue to try and sort out. Infuriating xx

Exactly :evil: She said she's just got them all out on that comment which makes me think she's just taken them out together. It will either lead to baby bunnies or fighting and what will she do then, will she be willing or able to pay the vets fees? I doubt very much she's got 10 enclosures, they will more than likely be stuck in tiny cages or worse, I dread to think :cry: She only runs this 'rescue' from home I suppose she sees it like she's just looking after them until she finds homes, but she clearly has no clue what makes a good home and letting animals go unspayed or neutered is just incredibly stupid. Thanks for sharing my rant, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and stewing!! Still really wound up about it now! Also I'm worried about their health, they r likely to have issues if they r 'scrawny' they e obviously not been fed properly so likely to have dental and muscle waste issues :( I've told the woman I know loads of times about rabbits and what I do for mine, how they should have loads of fresh hay, pellets not muesli etc. but some people still have the old fashioned 'we've always done it like this' attitude :(

Could you report her to the council for the amount of rabbits she has in poor conditions? Also RSPCA if they'd bother to do anything. But worth a try.

Could you report her to the council for the amount of rabbits she has in poor conditions? Also RSPCA if they'd bother to do anything. But worth a try.

I don't know that they are I'm just presuming that as she runs the rescue from her home and obviously has no idea about rabbits needs, she won't have a suitable environment for them. My worry is also where they will end up, she's likely to want to find homes for them fast so they could go to anyone and if they do turn out to have health issues is anyone going to know what to do with them? I'm hopeful there r more good bunny owners than I imagine out the who will at least do some research :/ One person had commented 'I've just bought a hamster for my son, if they came with a hutch I'd have one but can't afford a hutch' I felt like screaming 'a hutch is not enough!!' It takes a lot more than a hutch to keep a bunny, which of course we all know should be 2 or more neutered bunnies ;) I thought if reporting but without any proof I don't think I'd get anywhere. I don't think RSPCA would want to know! :(

You don't need proof, if she's running a rescue without a licence to have x amount of animals they'll investigate. Worth a shot I think on both them and the RSPCA. At least you know you've tried.

I don't think you need a license to run a rescue and as long as the animals are clean, have food and water, neither the SSPCA or RSPCA are likely to do anything.
Personally, I think anybody who professes to be a rescue or sanctuary ( registered or not) should have to be assessed and licensed.
Certainly, even being a registered charity ( in Scotland anyway) means nothing as far as animal care or facilities go, we have never been checked or even looked at!

I don't think you need a license to run a rescue and as long as the animals are clean, have food and water, neither the SSPCA or RSPCA are likely to do anything.
Personally, I think anybody who professes to be a rescue or sanctuary ( registered or not) should have to be assessed and licensed.
Certainly, even being a registered charity ( in Scotland anyway) means nothing as far as animal care or facilities go, we have never been checked or even looked at!

That's quite worrying! I've looked at their rescue Facebook page and its a closed group but the I do says its run by 3 ladies, one of which is the one I've talked about with the rabbits, it says they don't have rescue premises so don't take in animals, but they find homes for unwanted pets and have some foster homes. But clearly she has taken 10 rabbits herself! I get the impression they are 3 women who r animal lovers and want to do something positive which is great but without proper research and knowledge on the real issues of animal welfare, all they're really doing is passing on the problem and possibly making it bigger if animals are being passed around un-neutered :(

Back