• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Haven't been on here in ages, but I really need help

Hi Guys:wave:.

Really need some advice, I took Little Oscar to the vets yesterday because he just didnt seem right/himself, and is head (ever so slightly) was wrying . Jason has diagnosed either EC or a inner ear infection:cry:. So we have a load of meds to treat both (until we get the results of his blood test back). It is impossible to give them to him. I have just bought Quaker oats, my thinking is to mix his meds in with this, is it ok for him to have?.

Bex. x

Was a bit unsure of the soya so didnt give that. I went out and bought baby food and pure oats. I have given him some of the baby food with his meds in it- he has eaten half. Can stress make his symptoms worse?. When we got back from the vets his head tilt was worse and definitely noticable. Its breaking my heart to see him with his head like this:cry:

Last edited:
Hi Bex and sorry to hear Oscar's poorly. I've always had great success with injecting meds (especially Panacur) into a mini shredded wheat. With tablets, I cut into quarters and pop inside a sultana (or something similar). Of course, this is only any good if they're eating as normal. Bunnies can have oats - Flora used to have a bowlful of dry oats every day to keep weight on. I wouldn't feed them long term to an otherwise healthy bun as they can cause weight gain.

Have you tried mixing the meds with some baby food? Or mashed banana?

Hope Oscar feels better soon.

Thank you for replying so quickly. Im so stressed at the min, hate seeing him like this. I didn't even think of baby food, or shredded wheat- thank you for the tips. I will try him with the quaker oats now- I really hope this works.

Bex. x

It is so difficult to get them to have their meds isn't it. I found the only way I could do it was if my OH held the bun wrapped in a towel, and then I could see to find her mouth and pop the syringe in. Not always easy to have a helper around though I know.
From what I have seen and read on here, the meds must be quite nice tasting as some buns seem to lap them up once they get a taste of it.
Good luck, and I hope Oscar feels better soon.

Its awful, Oscar is so wriggly. We tried to bunny burito him last night, we was struggling so much, and his breathing was- I cant even describe it:(. We had to stop. Im going to ring the vets to see if any of the meds could be injected. Just waiting for the oats to cool- this really needs to work:(

I forgot to say the Oats are the Oat so simple the sachets, just reading the back it says it contains Lecithin (soya)- is this still ok?.

Bex. x

Have you tried using a 1ml syringe and just sliding it through the gap at the side, towards the back of his mouth? If you have somebody to hold him and wrap him in a towel, this should really be pretty quick and less stressful for him.

Bubbles was always very easy to get meds into in the way RogerRabbit described. Alfie, on the other hand, can be a real nightmare and it's surprising just how much resistance they can put up sometimes so we usually hide it in a small amount of baby food if possible (assuming that bunny is eating well of course, because if they're really poorly then they often won't be interested in the baby food either).

I don't know about the soya in the oats so I'd probably err on the side of caution and get some plain porridge oats if you can. I can recommend Ella's kitchen too though; they do pouches of baby food - flavours like carrot, apple etc - that bunnies usually find yummy and I tend to keep a couple of those in the cupboard for emergencies.

My vet demonstrated how to hold Roger myself, and he was wrapped in a hand towel and then tucked under my arm, with my arm under his front legs and holding him close to me, and then have the meds drawn up and just pop the syringe into the side of his mouth.

It is true really about it mainly being down to confidence, but I really would try this. I know the adding to foods thing is an option, but I think when bunnies are so poorly, you need to find a way to just get the meds into them, and I think they start working quicker neat and on an empty stomach.

hope you can get the meds in some how, have you tried mixed in banana? I hope he feels better soon and the head tilt resolves x

Back