• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are your rabbits big hay eaters?

sally1974

Wise Old Thumper
Mine can never seem to get enough, I swear I am adding hay every couple of hours :lol: I have never known any rabbits to love hay as much as mine do. I love seeing them munching their way through it though :love: are yours big hay eaters?

Yep Angel loves her hay.
I have to top her litter trays up a couple of times a day.
She also has her hay digging box (old 100x50 guinea pig cage) which has 'normal' hay and some treat hay mixed in which she spends a lot of time digging about for.
It is lovely seeing them tuck in to their food :love:

Flymo wasn't - compensated by scoffing lots of grass - and I thought it was just his way. However, we recently bought a bale of meadow hay from a hay/straw farmer not too far away and he LOVES it. Clearly it was just a quality issue rather than him not liking hay. :thumb:

Yep :) I feel very lucky that they love hay after reading about fussy bunnies on here! They have only not eaten one hay before, and that was a really expensive one so I don't mind that :p they get baled hay from a local farm, and have never complained about it!

Mine scoff constantly... that said, Aunty Ali spoiled them whilst they were there for their holidays and Smudge became very fussy....norty boy,!.......

He now only wants to eat Timothy Hay By Alfalfa King or Green Oat hay.. farm baled wont do.......But He eats hundreds of the other stuff!!!!.

They just nom, nom and nom....... and nom some more. i get through 3 half bales, 3 bags of green oat hay, 3 bags of Alfalfa King, Timothy hay every month and thats for 2 of them!!

My outside bunnies are all mega hay munchers... :shock: but Reggie is not so good. :( he's been better since I scatter feed and hide the pellets in there - his poos are proof. At end of this month I'm ordering from hay for pets - I know that if he turns his nose up, the others won't! :lol:

Not until recently when we FINALLY found a brand of meadow hay he actually likes, now he's scoffing it like there's no tomorrow

Yes, all four of them are :D their favourite is baled farm hay, which is lucky for me as its cheapest :lol:

Hmm.. I'm obviously doing something wrong then... mine will eat some hay if they have to but I never see them scoffing it like mad!! and they will eat anything else in the run first!!!! But they do go crazy for grass which they have access to 24/7 so I hope they are just eating that instead of mountains of hay. At the moment we are on a local farm bale which I thought they'd love but they're not so keen :( no room to buy a new one til they munch through this!!

My two are good hay eaters but I have to keep them interested by swapping their hay every few days. I'm currently giving them timothy hay and Ings hay. Generally, the hay racks are pretty much empty by the morning.

My two are good hay eaters but I have to keep them interested by swapping their hay every few days. I'm currently giving them timothy hay and Ings hay. Generally, the hay racks are pretty much empty by the morning.

Mine seem to have bored of ings! Shocking! I need my Timothy hay to arrive pronto! Especially since I have cut out all veg from their diet due to excess caecals.

Yep they are and it has to be meadow hay or they get very fussy about it. They just love it, I buy it by the bale and give them loads at a time so the burrow right through it too and make a hay warren. Its brilliant for eating, for keeping warm, for nesting and for stimulation. It helps to offset boredom as they scrabble and build with it. So in my opinion a rabbit can never have too much hay.

The 2 fluffies are very bad at eating hay - it is a constant balancing act of keeping their food pellets at a low enough amount so that they do eat hay, but not so low that Bobo gets extra grumpy and takes it out on Harley. I do worry about them as their poops aren't great - and concerned about teeth as well - just have to keep battling on:thumb:

The others are all great hay eaters - no worries about them - and you can tell from the difference in poops - the fluffies poops aren't brilliant where as the others are lovely.

My Bunchkin goes mad for it! When I first got him he had Pets at Home hay, horrible quality stuff but he seemed to love it anyway. Now I buy him greener stuff (normally Hay for Pets) and as soon as I refresh his supply he'll sit in his cage just eating and eating for ages!

The other day I bought some nice looking stuff home from a pet show and he was biting at the bag trying to get in :lol: That's why he's "Baby Bunchkin the Hay Munchkin" :oops:

I have one hay mad. Two who will eat some and then get bored move away to come back later. Then Brownie good god he's such hard work sometimes. He will love a hay for a few days then just stop eating it. He has put himself into stasis before through his hay fusseyness. I have to rotate the boys hay so he doesn't get bored.

All of them except Frosty who doesnt seem that bothered about hay or even grass. He does eat them, just not much enthusiasm and not large amounts.

How much hay do you feed each rabbit a day?

Mine scoff constantly... that said, Aunty Ali spoiled them whilst they were there for their holidays and Smudge became very fussy....norty boy,!.......

He now only wants to eat Timothy Hay By Alfalfa King or Green Oat hay.. farm baled wont do.......But He eats hundreds of the other stuff!!!!.

They just nom, nom and nom....... and nom some more. i get through 3 half bales, 3 bags of green oat hay, 3 bags of Alfalfa King, Timothy hay every month and thats for 2 of them!!
I thank you for this helpful comment. My boy is a pretty bad hay eater, he will nibble bits here & there but not enough in my opinion. We have always give him excel herbage since we got him & recently his poops have got bad, some are very tiny & hard so I decided enough is enough and as P@H is really the only pet shop about here I was at my tether as to what to try next, so thankfully I seen the Timothy Hay by Alfalfa King and in the space of only a day his poos are already bigger & more brown than black :D he is also eating more than before - I hope this is the road to success.

It sucks living in N.I. :cry: I have to pay crazy postage prices for deliveries but I do really want to try some Ings some time so will have to bite the bullet & pay what I have to :D

The 2 house buns are quite good hay-eaters but the Contis seem to have been eating less and less. TBH it has been difficult figuring out how much I actually need to feed them, and then we've had this spate of weeks of them being poorly. Once they are both better and outside again I'm going to gradually cut down the pellets a bit to see if they will eat more hay.

Back