• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Poor Malcolm, Not a well bunny but on the mend

Riggs

Warren Scout
Had a bit of a crisis here over the last few days, Malcolm stopped eating on Thursday and despite treatment with Metoclopramide and Fiberplex did not respond, when I got home from work on Friday he had not improved and was very lethargic so I took him to the emergency room at the veterinary college Friday night for treatment and then spent the rest of the night Syringe feeding him (Every 4 hours) but as there were no poo's by Saturday morning we rushed him over to Good Companions in Stanstead Abbotts where he was admitted with Stasis.

It was a worrying weekend for us, waiting for the call on Monday morning to find out what the prognosis was, the call came at 08:30 to say that he had responded to the treatment and could come home.

I picked him up at 11:30 and I am now feeding him all of his favourite veg with a few herbs thrown in to encourage him to eat more, as he is such a delicate soul and he has lost quite a bit of weight and feels really bony so will need all the encouragement he can get to build himself up which ended up with me doing late night veg shopping and being up with him till 3am Tuesday morning.

On top of that of course we have poor Blossom who has only been home with us for a week (See Malcolm's Date in stories) and is wondering what is going on, first she has a boyfriend that she is getting used to, then he is gone, now he is back but he is in the hutch and she is out in the office and all they can do is touch noses through the bars.

I had to keep them separate for a day or so as I need to monitor Malcolm's Goods in and Goods out as it were.

As there were plenty of poo's in his tray today I left him out in the office with her for the afternoon but will need to separate them tonight so that I can continue to monitor overnight.

He is a delicate soul, having had a poor start in life before he came to me so can get easily upset, I think that part of the problem was that he felt left out because Blossom was getting a lot of attention to help her settle in and he had not managed to assert himself to be confident enough with her here.

I have been giving him loads of attention and hand feeding him a lot and he has been responding well, He has also turned into a fuss bunny, which he has never really been, and will now push Blossom out of the way to get head rubs (a little piece of jealousy creeping in there) I think that I underestimated the bond that we had and do feel that the arrival of blossom and the attention that she has been getting contributed to his decline, still all back on track now.

So what was supposed to be a fresh new start for both of them has turned into a bit of a rocky ride but I am hoping that by the end of the week all will be well.

What I have learned form this experience is that you should never under estimate the bond you have with a single bun, it can make all the difference.

Paul

Last edited:
He is looking much better today and is actually being a bit more forceful with Blossom about the vegetable dish and what he wants to eat, he has responded really well to a bit of love and attention, now it is a bit of a balancing act as Blossom is such a people Rabbit I need to make sure that she is not left out.

Didn't expect Malcolm to turn into such a fuss bunny with the arrival of Blossom (it has been just me and him since his previous Wifebun Thumpa passed away in February) but just goes to show the sort of bond you can have with a bun.

Aww - so pleased he is getting over the Stasis - it's awful when they are going through it - so worrying:(

You are right - some bunnies don't have such a strong bond with humans and others do - and it's easy to just think that once they're with another bun, they 'forget' the human - but that is not always the case. I still have a very strong bond with our Sheldon - but he does like humans which makes a difference I think.

Oh no stasis is so stressful - I'm glad he's recovered and is making progress with his new friend :)

Back