• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Run floor for Rexs

dominoid

Warren Scout
Our buns are due to move in soon and they are Rexs. I'm told we have to be careful of them getting sore hocks but their run will be on concrete. What would be best to do? I've had suggestions that putting straw down would be ok, but I've seen other people talk about Lino. It's a big run though and lino would be expensive. Can't use pound shop Lino squares as there's no floor to stick them too! I looked for rubber matting but that's just as expensive as Lino so would it be OK to just put straw everywhere? If we go with straw, how often would it need changing?

Last edited:
Is this run attached to their house..?

I have a Rex and he has a concrete run, it is attached to his house so isn't out there all the time, he has one corner that has loads of hay in, which he kind of uses as a bed plus tunnels and bits so he's not entirely on concrete all the time.

So I think as long as they have places to rest on other than concrete and you check the hocks regularly it should be fine.

Also how active are they? I forgot to say willow is a massive lazy bones so not too much hopping round!;)

It is, they have a floored hutch and the run is to be permanently connected with a runaround tunnel.

They're quite inquisitive bunnies, although their mum is quite sleepy they seem to be very runny and jumpy!

It is, they have a floored hutch and the run is to be permanently connected with a runaround tunnel.

Well someone may come along and tell you differently but I've always had rexes and as I say as long as they have an area with hay to rest I wouldn't worry too much.

I don't know how big this run is but it's easy to make different bases such as a cat basket with grass (grown from seed) or in a tuff spot,or filled with hay. Digging boxes, tunnels so it's not just all concrete, but a bit of concrete hopping will be fine, always has been for my rexes ;)

I have 2 mini rex bunnies, one has sore hocks. They have always been active bunnies and always had a large run. When they were young, their run was on concrete (I didn't know about sore hocks then.) As a result, one of them got sore hocks. I feel terrible for not knowing about it and because of that, she's had to live with sore hocks for the rest of her life. She's now 6 years old, and she's under close veterinary monitoring to make sure she's not in pain.

In my opinion, rexes should only be kept on soft flooring, which is consistent throughout the whole accommodation. My girls are kept in a hutch with run attached by run around pipe. Throughout the whole setup, there's soft hay. I use a layer of megazorb litter and a layer of hay in their hutch. In the run, there is foam matting and then a thick layer of hay. There is no surface that isn't soft. Hay is good because it allows the nails to sink in, reducing pressure to the hock.

As your rexes haven't got sore hocks yet, you could probably use foam or rubber matting. However I would keep a very close eye on the rabbits hocks to check they aren't becoming sore. If they do, then use hay for flooring. It's best to prevent sore hocks than treat it.

If you need any more info about this type of flooring, just pm me.

I have 2 mini rex bunnies, one has sore hocks. They have always been active bunnies and always had a large run. When they were young, their run was on concrete (I didn't know about sore hocks then.) As a result, one of them got sore hocks. I feel terrible for not knowing about it and because of that, she's had to live with sore hocks for the rest of her life. She's now 6 years old, and she's under close veterinary monitoring to make sure she's not in pain.

In my opinion, rexes should only be kept on soft flooring, which is consistent throughout the whole accommodation. My girls are kept in a hutch with run attached by run around pipe. Throughout the whole setup, there's soft hay. I use a layer of megazorb litter and a layer of hay in their hutch. In the run, there is foam matting and then a thick layer of hay. There is no surface that isn't soft. Hay is good because it allows the nails to sink in, reducing pressure to the hock.

As your rexes haven't got sore hocks yet, you could probably use foam or rubber matting. However I would keep a very close eye on the rabbits hocks to check they aren't becoming sore. If they do, then use hay for flooring. It's best to prevent sore hocks than treat it.

If you need any more info about this type of flooring, just pm me.

Poor bunny :oops: so glad I haven't had to deal with this with my rexes :shock: must be awful to see her like that :(

I have foam interlocking mats in my shed but the run is all concrete. I spoke to my vet about it at ferns last check up because although she's shown no signs of sore hocks I'm quite paranoid! He recommended the foam mats and said as long as there was an option for her of different flooring types she should be ok :thumb: so far so good!!

Back