• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

The unwanted rabbit situation near me is getting worse

catpud

Warren Scout
There are 16 rabbits in my nearest RSPCA rescue centre. Another woman who runs a private rescue is inundated with rabbits including pregnant and nursing does. I imagine the situation is the same in other rescues here.

And yet there are still people breeding constant litters - it is a case of somebody on facebook asking if any of the rabbits are still available (after a week of putting them up for sale) and the "breeder saying not from this litter but we have another 2 litters ready to leave in a few days.

The pages are flooded with people trying to rehome their unwanted pets sometimes just a month or so after buying them. Then they sell them together with a "large hutch" that is just 3 feet in length.

When people ask if there are rabbits for sale, I comment on their post about there being a lot in local rescues at the moment, and it would work out cheaper and easier to adopt (vaccinations neutering etc) but it just doesn't seem to get through because the breeders pipe up - oh I have these babies for sale at £10 each. I try not to push it because I don't want to seem pushy / fanatic and I put my post nicely - just pointing out rather than saying rescue these rabbits now!

I just feel so sad for all of the bunnies, some will go to good homes maybe, but there are many who won't and without vaccination they are going to be at risk - there is major myxi outbreaks in north Wales at the moment and vets are putting out warnings.

I stand corrected, one family off to give a bunny they found a new home today. Some people do take notice after all :)

The local facebook page for animals here actually has a rule about not criticising people's buying / selling or some such nonsense, so there's obviously been quite a few people 'told off' - makes me cringe that it's even necessary. If people weren't trading there pets like car upgrades there wouldn't be anyone criticising! :roll: :evil:

Our local page is full of animals. I don't mind when theres a genuine reason for giving up a pet as sometimes things change in life. Our rescues are screaming out for people to take rabbits. There are more on the waiting list then there are in the rescue right now. Its already a shuffling act when a stray turns up or gets dumped outside the gate normally pregant so then theres spaces for the babie to consider too.

On one of my local pages they are currently debating if its worth breeding another litter now as sales slow down over christmas time :shock: this is from the people who basically gave away the last babies (£2 each) to get rid.

It still seems very much all about educating the public. For instance most people don't realise that there are baby bunny's at sanctuary's that they can rescue. They assume that the buns there are a couple of years old, which is not the case in some rescues. I was one of those people a year ago :oops:
I really wish i had given adoption more thought. :( I can't turn back the clock, but i am now going to do my best to spread the word and help educate people.

Back