• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

teaching a baby bunny about human food

thumps_

Wise Old Thumper
Do you have that problem of sitting down to supper in front of the TV and a bunny lands in the middle of your plate?
Well they don't intend to land in the plate, they just can't see exactly where they'll land when they take off.
But it's that inordinate curiosity about human food.
"Wat ya eatin? Is it good? Is it good?

I can't even pretend to be vegetarian, but have my own concience which means I usually eat very little meat & source it carefully, but when a new bun arrives I conciously eat the yuckiest food I can think of for a bunny eg bangers & mash with onion gravy.:lol:
Thumper used to do a runner at the sheer smell of cooking meat so he showed no interest at all in my food & I became virtually vegetarian.
Benjie was different. He was up beside me wanting to explore my plate as soon as I sat down. I carefully turned it so he could only smell the "yucky" bits - no way was he going to eat any, but he wasn't even going to try. After 3 consecutive days he lost all interest in my food & permanently.

Just sharing a story, hoping it may help some people & give a bit of a laugh.
Rabbits are incredibly inquisitive by nature. They also learn very fast. Capitalise on it.:lol:;)

Violet is just hilarious if I sit down to eat on the settee next to her. She can't see, but she can obviously smell the food, and it really seems to get her interest. My daughter left a packet of flumps the marshmallow sweets on the settee without thinking, and I wish I had been quicker with the camera, because Violet had tipped the packet up so that they all fell out, and had one of the flumps in her mouth eating it :shock:

All my bunnies turn their noses up at anything I eat in front of them. Meat is especially distasteful to them, even the smell of it cooking, but since Pip and Fiver don't tend to like even some veg and fruits, I get a lot of stinkeye when I come into their area with a plate. :(
Mimzy never has shown much interest in what I'm eating, which is curious. He's such a zen bunny. No great highs or lows.

I try not to eat too much meat as a general rule because most of the stuff we get here is so nasty I'd have botulism if I dared consume it, all ethics aside. I've been vegetarian before but I have a lot of b vitamin deficiency problems that preclude me from eliminating it altogether. :(

Of course, no matter what is on my plate, there will always be a big eyed wee doggy sticking her nose as close to it as she can get to see if it's something interesting. ;) Surprisingly she will not mooch whatever it is unless she's given permission. I could probably take her to a five star restaurant and she would only eat on command. :D

I can only imagine what was going through Benjie's mind as he found nasty sausages on your menu! :lol:

Violet is just hilarious if I sit down to eat on the settee next to her. She can't see, but she can obviously smell the food, and it really seems to get her interest. My daughter left a packet of flumps the marshmallow sweets on the settee without thinking, and I wish I had been quicker with the camera, because Violet had tipped the packet up so that they all fell out, and had one of the flumps in her mouth eating it :shock:

:lol::lol::lol: The thought of adorable little Violet eating a flump is so cute I could CRY!

Bunchkin was going crazy climbing all over me when I had butternut squash soup the other day!

We give our two their pellets at the same time we have dinner - usually at 8pm, sometimes tho, we have dinner earlier, but don't give them their pellets earlier (otherwise they know at 8pm n come begging for more!), but if we have food, they sit where they have their pellets and act starved :roll: then nip our feeet while we're eating.... and god help me if i have fruit when they're around!!!! i get chased, climbed on, nipped.... rupert tries to steal the food out my mouth!!

Every night rupert checks to make sure the oven is on and if it isn't - he circles me then runs to the kitchen door, obviously telling me i need to put the oven on... they hate hate hate it when i chop onions and veg up and hate the smell of them cooking!

Marnie will eat anything left unattended for more than 30 seconds. If the dining chairs are out she''ll get up on the table and steal off your plate. She stole an enourmous steak off Js plate a little while ago. She's also been known to pinch a bacon sarnie too.

Think she might actually be at least half goat.....

I'm always amazed by what other people's bunnies are prepared to steal & eat. Totally intrigued.
Mine only ever touch their own food & when it's in the right place. Benjie adores Basil leaves, but he won't eat them from a pot I leave on the hall floor with the shopping. I've never even had to tell him off for stealing either.

I wonder what I do to them = my cats were the same. :?

:lol::lol::lol: The thought of adorable little Violet eating a flump is so cute I could CRY!

Bunchkin was going crazy climbing all over me when I had butternut squash soup the other day!

Oh that sounds nice did you make it yourself?

I say get Violet to eat another flump and quickly take a pic for the calendar;)

Back