• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Major repair works needed on hutch

CazandCo

Alpha Buck
Hello there,

Just wondered if anyone on here has had much experience of bunnies who enjoy destroying their hutches? I was very lucky this morning to find out that Poppy and Amy had chewed straight through the side of their hutch. Luckily it was first thing this morning and not later on in the day when i was out at work. I have made temporary repairs to the side with the hole in, but am desperate to find a preventative tip i can do to prevent this from happening again.

Thanks for your time :)

You need to tackle it from two angles - making it physically impossible and working out why they are doing it and diverting the behaviour elsewhere.

Thicker board for the hutch walls (10mm ply or toung & groove) - mesh over - protect corners particularly as that tends to be where they start. If the hutch is a recent purchase, I'd be taking it back as not fit for purpose - they shouldn't really be able to chew out that quickly!

The other thing is why they are chewing - it can be diet related - not eating enough hay, or behaviour - not enough exercise/space/other things to do, or not enough chewable things eg branches that are appropriate.

Thank you for the suggestions, mesh shopping begins then. Gonna get some wood to line the inside and outside of the hutch to make sure it is doubly safe.

All my bunnies have the following in their hutches; willow archway, those chewable wooden perches screwed on to the mesh, a hay supply that gets topped up 3 - 4 times each day, one of those wooden ball type things. Oh and they get fresh willow branches/leaves throughout the week too. These girlies are certainly more bossy and dominant than hiccup and binky. When i tried to bond pancake with amy and poppy they were stubborn and didnt accept him.

Back