• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Having runs on grass over winter

Ailstar

Mama Doe
I'm wondering how feasible it is to have my rabbit runs on grass over the winter? Just because I really want to extend my run using a second run and runaround. But if I was going to do that the runs would have to be on grass permanently as my patio isn't large enough. Having it half on the patio won't work either as my garden is on a hill and the patio is sunk down, you have to climb steps to get to the garden. Also, while we are talking about runs on grass, is it bad for buns to have constant access to grass?

Mine are only ever on grass, they've been fine. They were on the patio for about 6 months before being bonded and that worried me because the floor was so cold, I bought blankets and foam mats to put down :lol: I just make sure they're covered up properly over winter but it's never any different to any other time of the year tbh.

Great thanks, was just worried about the grass being wet/cold but if you have had no problems that's probably what I'll do then.

Great thanks, was just worried about the grass being wet/cold but if you have had no problems that's probably what I'll do then.

that's actually why at the moment my bun's run is on concrete, i'm worried about morning dew ect. I think i'm gonna do some more resaerch on it..... RU here I come! :D

To be honest i think grass is nicer than concrete, afterall grass is a natural surface for buns to stay on, whereas concrete is an un-natural surface, and is cold and hard, even when the weather is reasonable. Plus grass is provides free yet tasty and nutritious food (obviously alongside hay, pellets, other greens).

I think the only problem with being on grass comes if youve got bunnies that dig - youd need something underneath the run to stop them getting out.

To be honest i think grass is nicer than concrete, afterall grass is a natural surface for buns to stay on, whereas concrete is an un-natural surface, and is cold and hard, even when the weather is reasonable. Plus grass is provides free yet tasty and nutritious food (obviously alongside hay, pellets, other greens).

I think the only problem with being on grass comes if youve got bunnies that dig - youd need something underneath the run to stop them getting out.

Great. For some reason I've thought that grass was richer than hay so they shouldn't have it in large amounts so they have only been on grass at the weekends. This solves my run problems though and it means my mum will stop telling me I'm being mean putting them on the patio! Haha!

I'd have thought that all you'd end up with is mud if you have the run on grass all winter. Personally I'd always go for concrete - it's cleaner, and you don't have to worry about the buns digging out, or anything else digging in.

I'd have thought that all you'd end up with is mud if you have the run on grass all winter.

I move it round the garden, so that they've always got fresh grass and it doesn't get muddy - and I live in a very badly draining area. Obviously the grass doesn't grow as fast in winter but its still ok.

If you use a runaround pipe to connect the two runs could you not have one on the patio and one on the grass? I've heard that buns can still get up and down the runaround pipes even with a steep incline - if you look on the runaround site at the 'top box' I think it's called, it sits on top of the run and is connected by a pipe and it goes up at quite a steep angle. If you could do that your buns would have the choice of patio or grass run - the best of both worlds.
I think having access to grass all the time is fine, it's only bad to let them munch a lot if they are not used to it, as with any other bunny munches.

Winter grass is not as rich as spring grass.

All rabbits can dig and it doesnt take long to dig out of a run. I would always put mesh or puppy panels under the run. (Preditors can did in too).

Mine are on grass (meshed). This is their first winter though. Only Tess and Daisy have made a right old poo-fest in their run (territorial where they can see Mottle and Peaches I expect) all the others are fine. I am expecting mud once the rain starts though...

If you use a runaround pipe to connect the two runs could you not have one on the patio and one on the grass? I've heard that buns can still get up and down the runaround pipes even with a steep incline - if you look on the runaround site at the 'top box' I think it's called, it sits on top of the run and is connected by a pipe and it goes up at quite a steep angle. If you could do that your buns would have the choice of patio or grass run - the best of both worlds.
I think having access to grass all the time is fine, it's only bad to let them munch a lot if they are not used to it, as with any other bunny munches.

I thought about this, but our stairs are quite narrow and I don't want the pipe blocking the way.

I thought about this, but our stairs are quite narrow and I don't want the pipe blocking the way.

Do you mean that the patio is one level, then the lawn is a much higher level joined by steps? If so a runaround pipe wouldnt need to go up the stairs it could just go from patio level, up the wall to garden level. It really is amazing how steep the pipes can be. Definately look at the "top box" on runarounds site - it will show you how unbelievably steep the pipes can be (i.e. near vertical).

My aviary run is on grass, meshed underneath, as one of my bunnies suffers with sore hocks and being on concrete really aggravates them. It does tend to get muddy but they don't care! One thing I would recommend is having a cover of some sort for the top of the run as this will help prevent frost on the grass.

Do you mean that the patio is one level, then the lawn is a much higher level joined by steps? If so a runaround pipe wouldnt need to go up the stairs it could just go from patio level, up the wall to garden level. It really is amazing how steep the pipes can be. Definately look at the "top box" on runarounds site - it will show you how unbelievably steep the pipes can be (i.e. near vertical).

I've just looked at this. Actually you are right, this might be an option :)

My aviary run is on grass, meshed underneath, as one of my bunnies suffers with sore hocks and being on concrete really aggravates them. It does tend to get muddy but they don't care! One thing I would recommend is having a cover of some sort for the top of the run as this will help prevent frost on the grass.

That's good to know, and my dad has just made me a heavy duty run cover for the winter :)

Back