• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Woohoo its here!

Hugo's There

Wise Old Thumper
My new Textbook of Rabbit Medicine has just arrived :D

First thing I did was check out metacam doses :lol:

It states 0.3-0.6mg per kg once or twice daily which is what I was expecting but also adds that it can be used up to 1.5mg/kg without accumulation :D

It does also state that close monitoring of kidney and liver function is recommended with long term use and also if there is no clinical improvement on the medication in 14 days then to discontinue treatment.

Now off to read the other 490 pages :lol:

Last edited:
Now off to read the other 490 pages :lol:

That should keep you quiet for a while then. ;):lol::lol:

My daughter had to buy a textbook for her veterinary nursing course (£55 :shock::shock:) and I've been leafing through the rabbit pages to make sure the info's ok. :oops::lol::lol:

is there a lot of diagnostics as well??

and piccies?

I love FHB book (now out of date sadly) but then bought another one which was really just a list of medicines which I did not use.

What is this one like?

is there a lot of diagnostics as well??

and piccies?

I love FHB book (now out of date sadly) but then bought another one which was really just a list of medicines which I did not use.

What is this one like?

I've only had it a couple of hours so not had a proper chance to look through it yet. there are a few pics, x-ray plates and quite a lot of diagrams especially in the dental and abscess section.

First 100 pages are rabbit basics, then the rest is different areas of rabbit medicine, such as anaesthesia and analgesia, digestive disorders, neurological, ophthalmic, cardiorespiratory, general surgical principles, infectious disease, PM's etc

sounds good - I like xrays!!!

did you mean mls or mgs by the way in your first post? You used both . . .

It states 0.3-0.6ml per kg once or twice daily which is what I was expecting but also adds that it can be used up to 1.5mg/kg without accumulation

sounds good - I like xrays!!!

did you mean mls or mgs by the way in your first post? You used both . . .

It states 0.3-0.6ml per kg once or twice daily which is what I was expecting but also adds that it can be used up to 1.5mg/kg without accumulation

woopsie, mg for both :wave:

Just thought I'd add something my vet said to me; every rabbit health/medicine conference she goes to she's told the amount if metacam rabbits can handle is more than previously thought! So if you have a good vet who attends conferences/reads journals on rabbit health they might be able to update you if it changes in the future :D

Just thought I'd add something my vet said to me; every rabbit health/medicine conference she goes to she's told the amount if metacam rabbits can handle is more than previously thought! So if you have a good vet who attends conferences/reads journals on rabbit health they might be able to update you if it changes in the future :D

Indeed - but at each conference its a different set of people saying a different dosage - it does get very confusing. At some conferences they say different amounts in the different sessions . . . and just dont get me started about the advice re EC and use of Panacur/lapizole :roll::roll:

Wouldnt 'matter; so to speak but I have had one bun die from kidney failure which was linked (I am pretty sure) to metacam usage during a long illness.

At a recent conference on said use for 28 days if EC, another 6 weeks, another said no evidence it works, another said dont use prophylacticaly, another said do . . . . .

woopsie, mg for both :wave:

sorry - so would that be 0.3 to 0.6mg per kg once or TWICE a day; OR that dosage per 24 hours that can be given either all at once or divided into two?

eg for a 3kg bun on dog metacam (1.5mg per ml) are they saying we can give the bun 0.9mgs (=c0.7mls) to 1.8mgs (c1.2mls) over the course of 24 hours either in one or two dosages; or that we can give that amount TWICE in one day? (so over the course of the 24 hrs bun would get 1.8-3.6 mgs ( 1.4-2.4 mls?).

I really want to triple check this.

sorry - so would that be 0.3 to 0.6mg per kg once or TWICE a day; OR that dosage per 24 hours that can be given either all at once or divided into two?

eg for a 3kg bun on dog metacam (1.5mg per ml) are they saying we can give the bun 0.9mgs (=c0.7mls) to 1.8mgs (c1.2mls) over the course of 24 hours either in one or two dosages; or that we can give that amount TWICE in one day? (so over the course of the 24 hrs bun would get 1.8-3.6 mgs ( 1.4-2.4 mls?).

I really want to triple check this.

It can be given once or twice a day, so 0.3mg - 0.6mg per kg every 24 or 12 hours as needed. So the second of your example. Exact wording in the chart was 0.3-0.6mg/kg, sid - bid

There is a whole chapter on analgesia which I have yet to look at :)

Indeed - but at each conference its a different set of people saying a different dosage - it does get very confusing. At some conferences they say different amounts in the different sessions . . . and just dont get me started about the advice re EC and use of Panacur/lapizole :roll::roll:

Wouldnt 'matter; so to speak but I have had one bun die from kidney failure which was linked (I am pretty sure) to metacam usage during a long illness

At a recent conference on said use for 28 days if EC, another 6 weeks, another said no evidence it works, another said dont use prophylacticaly, another said do . . . . .

I am very sorry to hear this :cry: It does state that regular screening for kidney and liver function is needed on the higher doses. Not sure if you saw my previous thread on metacam doses as my vets spoke to Kevin Eatwell at D1ck last week and were given very similar info to what has been stated in this book

It can be given once or twice a day, so 0.3mg - 0.6mg per kg every 24 or 12 hours as needed. So the second of your example. Exact wording in the chart was 0.3-0.6mg/kg, sid - bid

There is a whole chapter on analgesia which I have yet to look at :)

Thank you! the sid-bid clarifies wonderfully

In fact have now ordered book!

£69 on Amazon with free delivery

I shall take in to vet and demand Bluebell and Charlies dosages are put up (she has terrible arthritis he has been newly diagnosed with spondyloses)

Back