• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging boxes

Jem n Flo

Warren Scout
Flo loves a good dig if i let her loose in the garden (my raised flower beds really have suffered!)

i see alot of people here saying about digging boxes and i dont really know how you make one, what you put in it.....surely do they not just dig and empty it all out on the floor?

shes stopped digging up my carpet since spaying...will providing a digging box not send her back to her old ways or is this something they should have as digging is a natural behaviour?

I have a high sided plastic storage box. Just drilled a few drainage holes in the bottom and filled about 1/2 way with soil. There is enough room that even when the dig its still contained nicely and doesn't go everywhere.

Someone posted recently about using one of those cat litter trays that have a lid on, and a cat flap to come in and out, and using that as a digging box, with soil in it. However, I did try this with mine and they didn't seem to be able to get the hang of the cat flap, I think I'll give it another try though.

oooh i cleared out the shed the other weekend and found a few plastic storage boxes, maybe i'll try one of those then

do you use compost from the garden centre or something else?

We use a large under bed storage box and filled it with organic compost from the local garden centre. Our two aren't really diggers but I suppose it's there if they want it. I know some people hide treats in the digging box for their bunnies to find.

Digging boxes are such a good idea:thumb: willow has a few, I try and change the material so he has different things, but he usually poops in his digging box :shock: to him everything is a litter tray apart from his actual litter tray :evil:

Back