• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Dog Kennel and Run?

Hazel79

New Kit
Hi,

I am moving away from the idea of getting a new hutch and maybe going for a dog kennel/run combo. For those who have a kennel/run combo what do you feel are the advantages/disadvantages?

Thanks,
:)

I have one and it is sooo much easier to look after them. If you need to brush them, give them meds you can get in there and they can't get away so easy ;). I spend a lot more time with them as I can sit with them. Everything is to hand hay, cleaning stuff etc.

You don't get wet cleaning them out when it rains :thumb:

I also have panel heaters (with times and temp control so not too hot) and lighting in and it is worth thinking about this for the winter months.

I would never go back to a hutch (unless of course space prevented me having a kennel or shed set up)

ETA - we have cat flaps (lockable) that allows them to get in and out as they please when we are in.

Do you mean a "walk in" dog kennel and run or just a low kennel with a run attached?
I looked at the 10ft x 4ft walk in dog kennels and thought they would make excellent homes. Sadly i couldn't fit one in so i've gone for a Wendy House.:D

Do you mean a "walk in" dog kennel and run or just a low kennel with a run attached?
I looked at the 10ft x 4ft walk in dog kennels and thought they would make excellent homes. Sadly i couldn't fit one in so i've gone for a Wendy House.:D

We started off with a hutch, moved to a wendy house with 2 runs attached and then I went for the kennel (we had it made to size) Wendy house was good too but we wanted something bigger when we got an extra bun :roll:

Here are some photos of mine when we first got it. We have adapted the front now though as they live in the main part and the shed bit is storage (not how we originally planned but I now have 2 buns that can only live side by side and not together due to fighting)

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/s...U-D-Photos-for-Liz/page3&highlight=dog+chalet

Last edited:
For peace of mind against foxes I'd rather have a shed and run set up so they can be shut in the shed at night. I had a dog kennel and run once and when a fox came along they became house bunnies! If it had been a shed set up I wouldn't have been so worried, didn't want them having a heart attack seeing a fox staring at them!

I have a double kennel and run type setup. It's still not quite finished but mainly there - we bought it secondhand and quite a lot of work needed doing so it's taken some time!

I have to say I love it! The weldmesh on mine is 1/2" 16g, its so very thick and strong, and it's double edged (ie instead of just stapled onto wood, it's stapled and then sandwiched between two pieces), so I have no qualms in saying that it's foxproof. Also - I think as it's one thing it looks better than a shed and aviary, which may be made out of different wood/have different mesh/roof materials etc. I love the fact it can be pouring down with rain and the buns can be sat out watching it staying dry

It gives the bunnies so much more space, and also it's easier to clean out as can get in there. The only bug bear I have at the minute is whenever I open the door the buns rush out so I have to try and catch/stop them and put them back in, so next project is to make a small piece of mesh as a 1ft high guard by the door that I can just step over to stop them doing that :thumb:

Most recent pics I have of mine:

null_zpscd576c41.jpg

Back