• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I love shopping at my local market for bunny veg and herbs

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
After buying supermarket stuff for ages i decided to try at my local market to see what they had to offer. Well my food bill for them has come right down. Also i only buy what i need to last a couple of days so the buns get fresher produce.

Having gone for a few weeks the lady on the stall asked me who i was buying for. I answered the rabbits and piggies. Stay there she says disappears around the back and comes out with a huge carrier bag full of cauliflower leaves :D. Here have these for free they will just be thrown away otherwise. I thanked her and she said just ask when you are here we always have them and you can take them for free.

That's very interesting, I was at the supermarket today buying some veg and feeling disappointed that I couldn't find anything different, and was thinking about trying a farmers market or something.
I'll be sure to be extra friendly too and tell them its for my buns in hopes of free cauliflower leaves.... Is that shallow? Selling my sole for free cauliflower for my buns! :lol:

Oh i often wondered if free veg was still dished out. We used to get free leaves from our local market when we had rabbits many years ago...hmm must be over twenty years ago :shock: but i wasn't sure if they would do it now. I might give it a go, that must make two shallow? bunny food hunters :thumb:

We buy our veggies from our local green grocers in town. Never thought about asking them if they any leaves etc that they don't want. We also have a really good monthly farmers market every first Saturday of the month. Might have to start being a little bit cheeky and ask.

We have a great organic veg farm down the road. They are happy to give free veg for the wabs and piggies. They also tell me what the local wildies like! (Although lots of things are in poly tunnels so they dont get to sample them).

I have also asked if I could have some of those wooden (more like very thin board) boxes when they get some it. The hamster has one in her cage and I thought they'd be good platforms for the rabbits and whistler pigs.

It's worth a try to see if you can get some. If they are only going to chuck it away anyway.

She gave me so much mine would never get through it all before it goes off. So i have given some to other bunny owners i know.

We get all ours from the market, theres a brilliant stall where we get dill, parsley, coriander, saag and mint and it's never more than 75p a bunch lasts a week for 4 bunnies for us too :)

When we lived in Manchester we used a great supermarket called Worldwide which had the exact same type of thing on offer for really good prices :D

Back