• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I dont believe it!!!!!!!

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Hello All,

As most of you know, Little and Ted have lived apart since I got him in May, due to Little being completely mental.

I'm very tentatively thinking of giving it another go as Ted is really lonely. I do have some questions if anyone can help, though.

Do some bonds just not work? How many fights have owners witnessed before they gave up? Do we think it's possible that Little actually wants to be alone?

Any help would be appreciated! Nose-rubs to all your bunbuns

xxxxxx

Last edited:
Some bonds are definitely not workable not all bunnies can go together. Bumble and Bee were insperable from the off and loved each other perfectly. A couple of months after he died we tried again with a husbun for Bumble the bonder had to separate and try them again then they came back here we persevered for 2 weeks with him being scared and them being chasey but then they had a real fight. We kept at it and they had another fight later on. We had to stop then as it wasn't worth somebun getting hurt. Now Bumble is with Butter-Bean and it's going well we've had him maybe a month now?

I'm not very good at giving advice on bonding but I know that some bonds just will not work out it does depend on the bunnies

I would say give it a go, its worth another try.
Just think about what you did to try to bond them last time, and try to think if there is anything you can do differently, maybe a smaller space and extra thorough cleaning of the neutral space with white vinegar and water (this is what seemed to do the trick for my two recently bonded buns who seemed to do nothing but chase and nip, and even a bout of bunny boxing everytime they met). I also found putting a toy or anything into the space seemed to spark things off, I put a cardboard box in stuffed with hay and both got territorial over it, so maybe no toys in the space, just some hay and water.
Let us know what you decide, and good luck.

My 2 rabbits were, seemingly, unbondable and I am quite sure most (sensible) people would have written off the bond.

They were shockingly dreadful - hated each other and I did at times think it was never going to happen. However, we persisted and eventually (took weeks), they made friends. I wonder if my two were they type we think are 'unbondable' but in fact time, courage :)D) and patience means they will eventually bond :)

I cant believe it!!!!!! Set up two tiny pens side by side...after two days they nose touched and sat there for 15 mins then fell asleep!!!!!! I took a pic...will upload soon...i can't believe it!! :) :)

Here it is!! Kisses :D Look how relaxed and blissed out she is... :) They both went to sleep eventually

2013-10-30191901_zps548a2e0e.jpg

Excellent! Frosty and Snowflake fell out and fought badly soon after being neutered (I didnt separate them for long enough to let their hormones settle I now realise). I was advised to separate them for a few months with no sight or smell of each other which I did. I recently reintroduced them to each other with two bonded sisters. It has been fine (a bit of initial chasing, etc from Frosty as before but not serious fighting).

Best of luck with Little and Ted. x

Did another last night, loads more nose touching a mutual napping...no bites, and Little actually groomed Ted's head!!! Might be time to try it without the bars soon *gulp*

Update

After 1 hour of kissing through the bars I put them together for 5 mins. No fighting!! They didn't do much, just stared at eachother for the whole time, but it's a real improvement! A month ago they would have flown at one another and ripped fur out! :lol:

So....Ted and Littlest bun can now spend time in the same room heavily supervised, without fighting. trouble is, Little's going to have no paws left soon as she spends her whole time running away from him!! She must have run about a mile last night. Is the chasing a phase, do we think, or does he just hate her? I like to think that deep down he is charmed by her loving ways and crazy eyes.... :lol:

How does reducing the space work for them? Just thinking that it may reduce the temptation to run for it thus showing little that Ted is ok to be near ... I am not experienced with bonding though so hopefully somebody else can advise.

We do need pics you know :)

Back