• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Buying a rabbit HELP ASAP

gingernutty

Warren Scout
I went to look at a rabbit who needed rehoming today. Under a year old. I said Id let the lady know by this afternoon so I need your opinions quick!
There are a couple of things I noticed and I wonder whether they are normal...
- He had a wet nose
- The upper half of his lower teeth were stained brown
- His bum area was a little brown (not matted though)
- He was very still on my lap- but maybe he was extra nervous?
Let me know what you think?

Sorry I don't know if those things mean something is wrong.

I've never had a bunny with a wet nose before.

I'd get him!
He sounds like he needs some tlc.

He doesn't sound to be too health, his teeth shouldn't be brown and his bum should generally be clean. Not sure what a wet nose is, potentially snuffles.

If you get him I would take him to the vets straight away, so he may end up being expensive. Don't forget to get pet insurance. Sounds like he needs a loving home but you need to expect to maybe pay out a bit. He may be OK but since you've picked up on a few things they need checking out.

Wet nose does sound like snuffles :( but it can be managed and a lot of rabbits only get occasional flare ups.

Stained bum area could be from sitting in a dirty hutch, or he could have had diarrhoea and the owner hasn't cleaned him up properly (or even from bad teeth - pain would put him off cleaning himself).

He will def need a dental check, I've not seen a bunny with brown teeth before but it doesn't sound right and if the front ones are dodgy his molars could need treatment.

It's possible he was scared when he was put on your lap but he could be feeling unwell or in pain if it's his teeth.

Poor bun :(

It could be that she's not looking/looked after him properly and he's a bit under the weather.

If you do get him (sounds like he needs the TLC and proper medical attention) then be prepared for some hefty bills if he is poorly. Get him insured a.s.a.p. as generally an animal has to be insured for X weeks before the insurance will cough up - and even then they may not if he had the problem when you got him.

Let us know how you get on/what you decide!

I went to look at a rabbit who needed rehoming today. Under a year old. I said Id let the lady know by this afternoon so I need your opinions quick!
There are a couple of things I noticed and I wonder whether they are normal...
- He had a wet nose
- The upper half of his lower teeth were stained brown
- His bum area was a little brown (not matted though)
- He was very still on my lap- but maybe he was extra nervous?
Let me know what you think?

I would not give any money for this bun, but definitely see if you can convince the "owner" if you could take him for free as he probably needs to see a vet. A wet nose is not normal but they do get wet noses when extremely stressed. Stained teeth could mean he is actually older, but if he is young, it probably means he has had an awful diet and the wet nose could mean he has dental problems. The stained bum, could also be an indication of a bad diet or being left in muck.

Personally, this bun probably needs to be taken out of this situation, but DO NOT give money for him.

You could always go to a rescue and get an already bonded, neutered and vaccinated pair that have had all their health checks. x

She may just be doing the right thing and not give it away for free to prevent it from ending up as snake food.

My first rabbit had snuffles when I recued him. A couple of courses of Baytril cleared it, that was 10.5 years ago and he is still going strong and has never been ill since.

Like somebody else said he could have been fed bad food, such as rabbit muesli which can cause soft poos and his owner may not have cleaned the hutch every day.
Stained teath may just be an indication that he is not a young rabbit any more.

Last edited:
Hello, I've decided against him as I have found an adorable older rabbit that I have taken in.
I have sent the lady a polite email outlining what I noticed and what you guys said it might be, so at least now she is aware :)
Despite the points in my initial post the bunny had a beautiful large outdoor pen, double hutch with toys and hay, and the owner really cared that he was going to a good home. :)

Back