• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Feisty trio bond - yikes!

Mackers

Wise Old Thumper
Day one in the fun-factory :shock:. Following Flora's sad passing yesterday, I've ploughed straight in and starting bonding her partner, Benji, with my two feisty girls, Pea and Pod. I have a week off work so no time like the present!

Despite some strong views on bonding on RU, I'm afraid I am HAVING do do a forced bonding in a very confined space. I know my girls and I've attempted a long bond with lots of space in the past. It failed miserably as all it did was encourage running and then fighting, mainly amongst the two girls rather than the new partner.

So they're next to me at the moment in my medium sized dog crate. It's a small space - just big enough for three large bunnies to lay down in comfort. So far, so good! Pea is just keeping her head down and trying to make herself invisible :lol:, Pod is grunting and complaining loudly and trying to run away from Benji. A small amount of fur pulling but that's about it. And as for Benji, well fortunately, he's pretty assertive so it's hump-fest all the way for him! Neither of the girls has attempted to hump either him or each other. He's doing enough for everyone :lol:. So I'm hopeful that this MAY work if they both accept him as the dominant bunny. I have this week off work, then another week mid-October. I may have to keep them in the conservatory until October so that I know their bond is good before moving them back into one of the sheds. Do you think mid-October is too late to put them back out for the winter? Assuming the weather stays reasonably mild, I'm hoping it will be OK as I'd rather not rush them back onto familiar territory. I'm worried it will just result in fighting if I push them too fast into a large space. Worst case scenario, they'll all stay indoors until Spring but I've yet to broach that subject with OH :lol::lol:.

How many LARGE bunnies can you fit into a litter tray????

Getting to know you.....

Good luck!

3 large agouti bunnies just spells trouble :p and how on earth do you tell them apart?! Do they have their subtle differences in looks? They just look like identical triplets to me :lol:

Aww, they're all colour coordinated :love: I love love love agouti bunnies, they're my favourite coloured bunnies :love::love::love: (don't tell Apricot and Ginger that though :lol:)

I've never had to bond yet, so don't know a thing about that, but good luck :thumb:

Good luck!

3 large agouti bunnies just spells trouble :p and how on earth do you tell them apart?! Do they have their subtle differences in looks? They just look like identical triplets to me :lol:

:lol: They all look very different to me! Although when Pea and Pod go into boarding, I do usually clip a little fur from their ears and make a note of who's clipped where, so that the lady looking after them knows who's who (just in case they need a vet visit).

:lol: They all look very different to me! Although when Pea and Pod go into boarding, I do usually clip a little fur from their ears and make a note of who's clipped where, so that the lady looking after them knows who's who (just in case they need a vet visit).

I suppose when you know them really well it must be easy. I have friends who are twins and people used to get them confused and I couldn't ever understand how because to me they looked completely different!

Agoutis are definitely awesome :love:

best of luck! I don't think mid october will be too late, especially if it stays mild but your conservatory is likely to get fairly cool once the temp drops anyway :)

oh wow! They look awesome together, and you are brave! I really hope this works for you!

i would have thought another few weeks would be ok, but I would keep the heating off in the conservatory (if there is any) and maybe open the windows a crack.

Thanks guys. I never have any heating in the conservatory unless it's below freezing - although it is open to the kitchen so it gets residual heat from there. I can keep the windows open too if necessary. Let's hope it's a mild Autumn and then I won't have to worry. Have had to temporarily separate buns into adjoining cages as I need to take one of my dogs to the vet as the appointment was booked before I knew I'd be bunny-bonding! Not ideal but it won't hurt them to have a little break to get their breath back!! All are tucking into some freshly picked grass from the garden.

Back