• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny proofing help

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
What do you use on your wires etc to prevent bunnies from chewing? Jasper has just chewed our chest freezer cable and O/H is raging :shock: so we need to bunny proof asap or else Jasper is going to have very limited free range time :(

We bought some cable protectors after Buster chewed the telephone wire in half :roll:
Ours are just wrap around and we then sprayed them over with Chew Stoppa from P@H (not sure if this works with all rabbits but Buster sure doesn't like the taste!) and I guess he could get through them if he tried, but he is more deterred now. Buster prefers really thin wires, and with the protectors on all our wires are really thick and solid, so they're not as fun to chew. I know you can get much sturdier ones as well if they're determined!

You can use cable protectors, PVC pipe, C&C grids... I generally block off cords with C&C grids and other things. Cable protectors I guess are the easiest option though? Unless you have an area with a lot of cords and then it'd just be easier to block them off.

we bought some rectangular thick plastic guttering stuff and made a cover to go over a plug and cable thats permenantly plugged in (no more nails-ed it to the wall so madam can't remove it!) i can still stick a finger down the top to switch it on and off but that plug is always in the socket so access isnt an issue

My bunny proof question: How do you get them to stop chewing on wallpaper? Bojangles is having a field day with the wallpaper.

We've not had issues with wallpaper but we did have problems with carpet for a while.

This is what we did:
1. Got T&F spayed! This reduced the behaviour, but not by a lot!
2. Clap/distract them when they started chewing, followed by:
3. use of a chew-stop spray. This would work for a short period - maybe 20 minutes or so, then we'd have to repeat.
4. Perseverance. We probably kept on with the clapping/spray for a number of weeks. Eventually they got the message!

They do still chew but only very occasionally and we're usually around to stop them.

Bojangles is spayed and she didn't chew for a long time, now she is just having a field day with it. The wallpaper is the only thing she chews. I make loud noise, tap her nose, say her name; she will stop for a couple of hours then right back to it.

Back