• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Argh Rabbit frustrating

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
Oh I feel so frustrated to night I am trying to get my rabbit used to me and yesterday when quite well and today I supost went a little better but she is scared of me that she just hides, today she had a little sniff of me and eat some food by the side of me in her tray with me sat by the side of the tray but then the cat knocked over his litter tray and then just sent her back again, Just wish she was used to me and could spend time hopping around the house but she just hides all the time at the min and shakes with fear.

Last edited:
Just keep doing what you're doing. That's all you can do.
Sit and talk to her. Or sit near her but ignore her.....bunnies are curious about everything so if you're sitting there ignoring them they tend to hop over to see what you're up to :)

I have to say though that my bunny Angel, I've had her for over 8 years and she still wont come near me for strokes!
I've spent so much time with her (she did have a husbun til recently) but she's just not interested.
She will come to me for food though :roll:

Rabbits are naturally wary because they are prey animals and so will be skittish.. slowly is the best way forward, and hand feeding a pellet or 2 helps too ;) you haven't had her long so give it a bit of time :)

It probably seems like aaaages because you are so keen (understandably) for her to feel more relaxed. You have already made progress. Keep at it. One day it will happen. :wave:

Jasper was scared of me for weeks, would sniff me but ran away if I moved. Then one day he decided he wasn't, hopped up to me and biffed my hand with his nose for attention. Clearly something just clocked and he decided I was ok. Misty was similiar as well. Just keep on as you are and he'll come round!

Honestly, I really do understand your frustration, but just carry on with what you are doing and she will come to you, but it will take time to gain her trust. It was a little blip with the cat litter tray tonight (bet you had a few choice words for the cat :lol:) but then your bun needs to hear and get used to household sounds anyway.

I took on last December an extremely traumatised bun who had spent 5 months hid in the darkest corner of his hutch, refusing to eat in front of people, wouldn't take food from anyone, hated even to be looked at let alone be touched, but after about 2 weeks he started to investigate me, and accept little treats, but you just have to accept that it is going to take some time, and I always think in such situations, expect nothing, and just take each day at a time, with no demands on your bun, and you will both get to where you want to be, you'll see.

Bodger is always going to be fearful because of his past and god only knows what really happened to him, but even 10 months down the road now, he is still continuing to make progress and is starting to sleep during the day where I can see him, which he never previously did, he does DBF's and binky's like mad, and has discovered the joys of sitting on the window sill watching the world go by.

He will let me pick him up and occasionally likes a cuddle, but most of the time he kind of just tolerates it, but I do still pick him up daily, because I know that with such a complex bunny as Bodger, god forbid if he ever became ill, he would probably just die of fright if he wasn't used to being handled and was then needing to be, but your bun hasn't had all the terrible things happen to her that Bodger has, and he has already progressed much further than I would ever have dared hope, and so I really don't think you will have any problems getting your bun to trust you.

thank you for your encouragement I know its just a very short space of time and I am up for the challenge. I will sit by her every night for an hour and talk to her, I have taken to reading to her, so is just so cute when she peaks at me when I look back she hides her head. I wont give up guess I am just a little inpatient, Yes there was a few words said to the cat :lol:

I have two lionheads that were like this. They never showed any affection towards me. Would run to the corner of the hutch and thump at me if i was in their run cleaning. It's taken a while but now i can give them nose rubs and they climb all over me for treats :D.

Just keep doing what your doing as it sounds like she's just getting used to all the new stuff around her. She will come to you given time.

Back