• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits don't seem to drink while in the run?

Haydo

New Kit
Hi everyone :wave: Hoping that someone can advise me on my rabbits' behaviour.

My two rescue rabbits, who I've had since February this year, seem reluctant to drink out of their water bottle while they're in the run. In the time I've had them I think I've only seen them drink in there twice, and as soon as I put them back into the hutch in the late evening, the one rabbit drinks like mad. They are both male, about a year old now, neutered with no health issues. The run itself is like this: http://www.littlepetwarehouse.co.uk...rabbit-144x58x116cm-free-delivery-p-3583.html

My Dad suggested it might be because they're getting the moisture from the grass, but even when they've eaten most of the top layer of grass and I've added hay in, they still don't drink in the run. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

They are probably getting the moisture they need from the grass during the day, as your dad said, so I wouldn't think it is anything to worry about. As you said, they are drinking at night.

One thing you could try, though, is a bowl of warm water in the run. That might tempt them.

My rabbits refuse to drink from a bottle at all!

There's a lot of moisture in the grass usually, I almost never see mine drinking in the run. As long as they have the option, you don't need to worry. They will drink if they need it :)

Ugh - have to admit my dad was right for once then? :lol: Thank you both for putting my mind at rest.

Back