• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Paranoid owner alert - calming advice needed!

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
Hi :wave:

To cut a long story short, my Dexter died almost 2 years ago and broke my heart. I've since spent the time blaming myself for not being more paranoid and dismissive of people telling me he was ok when I suspected not and going over in my head the time we had together for what I should have done better and so maybe he'd still be here with me.

Fast forward to the present day. I now have three rabbits, including a pair of 11 week old mini lion lops. One looks very much like Dexter (Badger) and the other has his personality (Blueberry). To say I am protective of these bunnies is an understatement and I am terrified of history repeating itself. My OH is very fed up of me freaking out every time a bunny does not move for more than 2 seconds and has banned Dexter talk.

So, I woke up today, and Blueberry was laid on his side. He's probably asleep - he was breathing, I checked - but this is new behaviour for him. He's usually sat up and more active. He has been up throughout the day, following me around as normal and wanting fuss. He's also been eating his hay and drinking. But he keeps laying down, stretched out on his side. Part of me tells me I've being ridiculous, he's just getting comfortable and having a sleep, the other half of me is terrified he's got some awful disease and I should rush him off the vets immediately and hope he doesn't die. He has even rolled over once and rolled off his ledge. Now he's sat up, looking at me, covered in hay as usual and I think I'm being stupid. But I always advise people if they think they have a problem, go immediately to the vet as it's better safe than sorry. I certainly don't want to be sat here this time next week with him passed away, kicking myself I didn't follow my own advise. But I know I have paranoid hyperchondriac tendencies and maybe he's growing up and learning how to chill out. Which voice should I listen to?

I panic too, I just go by the rules of if their toileting are good and they are excited about food then they are fine and its just me being silly! I have fenugreek crunchies on hand as a tester! The other day I was hand feeding my two pellets and Buster lost interest halfway through so I was panicking he was poorly, as soon as I picked up the bag he was running around my feet I think he just had enough pellets :D So if one or the other seems off I would take mine to the vets! Luckily (touch wood) has only happened once that Buster seemed really down and off his food one time so I panicked rang the vets and while waiting for a call back I massaged his belly, by the time the vets rang back he was munching the array of treats I had put in front of him! xx

I just wrote this post and as soon as I posted it, he jumped up, stuck his cute little face in the hay and started nibbling :roll: Which is good obviously, I'm glad he's ok. Silly Blueberry scaring mummy and silly mummy panicking over a sleepy Blueberry :lol:

Glad I'm not the only paranoid one! :thumb:

It sounds as though he is just doing relaxed Bunny flops to me. A Rabbit in discomfort wont just lie quietly on their side, they will keep shifting about trying to get comfortable. They may occasionally 'flop' but this is often followed by more shifting about, stretching and pressing their tummy to the floor or lying down and breathing very rapidly.

Noting poo output is also a useful guide. Less poo/small poo can indicate a health problem

Obviously I cant tell you for 100% certain that there is nothing wrong just from reading your post, but I doubt you need to go rushing off to the Vets right now :)

Awww.. I totally get where you are coming from. An experience like you went through with Dexter is going to make you more alert to changes in your bunnies behaviour, which isn't a bad thing... But if it was me, I would advise that you watch for other things alongside this different behaviour -is he pooing/weeing/drinking/eating as normal?

I don't know what other poeple would advise but from what you are saying, it doesn't sound like an immediate trip to the vets, however, if you are really unsure, a check up wouldn't hurt if just to put your mind at ease.

PS. if you want/need to talk about Dexter then do it here on RU - you might need to. (((hugs)))

Edit: just saw your update post :thumb: Bunnies have a knack of worrying their owners. ;)

I understand exactly how you are feeling, because even though I have had 'special needs' bunnies for nearly 20 years, I have never had a baby bunny. But then 3 weeks ago, a lady turned up at my house, and she had the most adorable, 8 week old little white lionhead, who I have called Violet. The trouble is though is that Violet is completely blind, and that was the reason why this lady brought her round, because she had been breeding rabbits but didn't want to anymore, and Violet was one from her last litter, and she was worried about her falling into the wrong hands. I must admit, I wasn't looking to take on another rabbit because I had 6 house bunnies anyway, but then when Violet was actually in front of me, I knew that if I didn't give her a home, I would always worry and wonder about her.

To be honest, most days I am messaging Jacks Jane about Violet's food, toys, daily routine etc, etc, because I know I have become overly anxious about getting something wrong with Violet, and I worry terribly about her being blind, but actually she is far more brave, playful, right little live wire, and seems to have mapped out the rooms she runs in, in her head and flies round them. I've got a big corner settee and Violet has fleecy throws, cushions etc and is set up on there in the afternoon and evenings, and she has now started sleeping and laying how you have described Blueberry, and I think it is just them finding new ways to lie and be really comfortable. Violet stretches all her legs right out and appears to feel so safe and secure, but I do think she is going to be a bit of a feisty little madam when she is older, as she is already very demanding and knows what she wants.

I'm going to try and attach a picture of Violet :love:

They are both their usual selves in every other way, just both of them are quieter than normal. I guess usually I've been rushing around doing housework or coming/going and in the evenings they are bouncing around for their dinner so I haven't really spent an afternoon sitting in the room with them as I know that's when bunnies in general are sleepy. Obviously I will keep my paranoid eyes on them and if they get too comfy I will rush them off to be poked and prodded by strange people :lol: Plus they were only at the vet last Tuesday for their injections and they were all hunky dory then. Blueberry is attacking the hay rack for hay as I type :lol:

I understand exactly how you are feeling, because even though I have had 'special needs' bunnies for nearly 20 years, I have never had a baby bunny. But then 3 weeks ago, a lady turned up at my house, and she had the most adorable, 8 week old little white lionhead, who I have called Violet. The trouble is though is that Violet is completely blind, and that was the reason why this lady brought her round, because she had been breeding rabbits but didn't want to anymore, and Violet was one from her last litter, and she was worried about her falling into the wrong hands. I must admit, I wasn't looking to take on another rabbit because I had 6 house bunnies anyway, but then when Violet was actually in front of me, I knew that if I didn't give her a home, I would always worry and wonder about her.

To be honest, most days I am messaging Jacks Jane about Violet's food, toys, daily routine etc, etc, because I know I have become overly anxious about getting something wrong with Violet, and I worry terribly about her being blind, but actually she is far more brave, playful, right little live wire, and seems to have mapped out the rooms she runs in, in her head and flies round them. I've got a big corner settee and Violet has fleecy throws, cushions etc and is set up on there in the afternoon and evenings, and she has now started sleeping and laying how you have described Blueberry, and I think it is just them finding new ways to lie and be really comfortable. Violet stretches all her legs right out and appears to feel so safe and secure, but I do think she is going to be a bit of a feisty little madam when she is older, as she is already very demanding and knows what she wants.

I'm going to try and attach a picture of Violet :love:

Awwww she's adorable :love: Glad her blindness is stopping her from getting you under her thumb :lol: Yeah, that's pretty much how Blueberry was, except he was on his side rather than a belly flop. I have seen bunnies laying like Violet (obviously) and Slipper also lays on her side like Blueberry was sometimes without me panicking. I think it was because I'm not used to these guys chilling out (they're little live wires :love:) and they remind me quite a bit of Dexy and he was only laid like that once on the day he died so it was a nasty little flashback for me. So I think what you said, they're learning how to chill out and be comfy and I guess it'll teach Blueberry he can't roll over on a ledge anymore. If it had been any other rabbit rolling off their ledge I've have cracked up laughing, but these guys are very special to me so I'm super paranoid and over protective of them :oops::lol:

That was just a picture I really liked of Violet. I think she looks more like a lamb than a rabbit :lol::lol: She has just flipped over now and of course I rushed to reassure her :roll: I've got pictures of her as well though, absolutely flat out on her side, and sometimes she even rolls onto her back with her legs up in the air, but I think I just need to chill out and enjoy this special time with a baby rabbit that I have never had before.

Clover the first time i saw her like this to shouted to my Dad to go look see if she was alive with that she lifted her head as if to say "whats up".. so I know what you mean about being over protected though I am a little :oops: Hope you feeling better now though... :D

Image2499_zps21cf2bd4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm guessing that being 11 weeks old you haven't had them that long, it sounds like he's feeling settled in and thinks it's safe to relax and stretch out :)

I'm guessing that being 11 weeks old you haven't had them that long, it sounds like he's feeling settled in and thinks it's safe to relax and stretch out :)

No, I got them at 8 weeks old so only 3 weeks. Wow, it feels like forever, but in a good way! Whatever did I do with myself before they came into my life? In that case, I'm glad they've settled in and feel they can chill out. They're not as clingy with each other either which hopefully is also a sign they're happy and feel safe and not the start of teenage adolescence and I'm going to hate you and anything else phase!

Clover the first time i saw her like this to shouted to my Dad to go look see if she was alive with that she lifted her head as if to say "whats up".. so I know what you mean about being over protected though I am a little :oops: Hope you feeling better now though... :D

[/URL][/IMG]

Gosh, she really does look like a dead bunny there! No wonder you pannicked! Glad she was just playing tricks on you though :lol: they do worry us, these buns don't they? But we still love them :love:

[/URL][/IMG]

What a beautiful photo of such a content sleeping baby bunny :love::love:

Back