• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cats in the Garden

Stufi

Alpha Buck
Hi All,

I need a little advice if anyone can help.

In our garden we have a raised bed with a large tree which, within the last week, has become the new midnight feeding spot for a local moggy. We have woken up to at least 3 eaten/half eaten Pigeons.

Ours Buns are indoors so not at risk but this spot is one off their favourites when out. Obviously we don't want them near the dead birds and need to put something down to distract the cats.

I have heard that citrus peal is good as are some of the altrasonic devices that kick in when movement occurs.

I don't want to spend a lot of money but also want to ensure that anything I use will not be harmful to the little ones when they are roaming.

Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas.

Thanks

Are you sure it's a cat? I get cats in the garden but they very rarely actually EAT their prey...they generally just kill it and then leave it.

When I say eat, the heads are missing and the rest 'played with'.

Ah. That does sound more like a cat. Hmm, I would make 100% sure it's a cat before deciding on deterrents tbh. Although the citrus would probably work for something like a fox too. The problem with the cat alarms, is that I think the buns would be able to hear it too, and you don't want to freak them out.

Tbh, trying to keep cats out of the garden is a nightmare.

Ah. That does sound more like a cat. Hmm, I would make 100% sure it's a cat before deciding on deterrents tbh. Although the citrus would probably work for something like a fox too. The problem with the cat alarms, is that I think the buns would be able to hear it too, and you don't want to freak them out.

Tbh, trying to keep cats out of the garden is a nightmare.

Thanks, that was my fear.

I have just found a couple of things which i am going to try.

1) Boil up Lemon Juice, Water, Cinnamon and Black Pepper and spray around area

2) Hand a Moth Ball in a plastic bottle with holes in

If the birds heads are missing it could be a rat I had a rat get in my pigeon loft and it took the birds heads and left the rest.

We have feral cats in our garden t. If none of those work you might have to consider keeping the rabbits contained in a run when outside unfortunately.

In my local garden store they sell sprays and powders designed to keep cats away. I am not sure whether these affect other animals, s it would need some research. One of the sprays is a black pepper spray so maybe you could use normal black pepper instead? You can also get those black cat shapes with glowing eyes which apparently work sometimes. I don't think they would bother the rabbits.

Failing that I remember somebody posting a day or two ago about possible cat proofing to keep cats IN the garden, so if it's not to expensive perhaps you could use something similar to keep them out?

Lemon juice worked for me. When we first moved into the house we are in now the garden grass was regularly used as a litter tray by the local moggys. I squirted lemon juice straight from the bottle over the area's and they stopped coming back. I had to do it a few times though.

Actually, if the heads have been taken off, I would be worried that it was foxes. Perhaps my cats are unusual, but they've never taken the head off a bird they've caught.

Back