• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Digging

Karen's

Mama Doe
I've had one of my buns since feb this year, found her as a stray, and I've never known her dig in all that time, but today she is digging like a mad thing! Wondering now if that's how she came to be a stray! I've put some new boxes and loo roll treat balls in to try and distract her, hope it works. Anyone else's bun suddenly developed a urge to dig out of the blue?

Yep. Thumper.

I had quite a surprise when I realised she discovered what her front paws were actually for :lol: - alarmingly large holes in the corners of the outdoor run which was on grass at the time. They were swiftly moved to the concrete patio ...

We'd had Thumper (and Coco) for over a year before she started digging, so they were about 12-13 months old at the time. Maybe that's when their natural instinct to dig kicks in? Got them diggy boxes now which they adore! :love:

When they're free-ranging we have to keep an eye open as they're both now making frantic bids for freedom :lol:. Luckily where their favoured diggy spots are, they can't actually get out so we just let them get on with it - but keep a close eye on them obviously and then fill in any holes when they're back in the shed/run. Well it gives them something to do when they get back out doesn't it?! :lol:

I have one digger - we ended up putting concrete slabs and bricks next to the fence but she just digs holes in the grass around them. It didn't come on suddenly though - she has always been a digger

Well, 3 days and she is still digging like mad! Do you think she has noticed the change in the weather and her instincts are telling her she needs to dig a burrow for the winter? She is spayed and so I doubt if its an urge to build a nest.

Back