• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Allergies or something else?

iggyperdyandme

Alpha Buck
Hi all (and happy international rabbits day)

I was wondering if anyone had experience of allergies in bunnies.

Betty has been to the vets twice now with sneezes and a slightly pink eyelid on one eye. No discharge. Sneezing comes and goes.

Her teeth are fine. She eats like a small horse and plays constantly but im still a bit worried. The vet is adamant she has an allergy (vet in a different county said the same thing - we relocated a month ago).

I cant work out what she is allergic too though? Has anyone had anything similar in their bunnies?

I had a snuffle bunny a couple of years ago but this is totally different. Im worried it might be very very mild snuffles that isnt being picked up and that she will get worse and get pneumonia like our last snuffle bunny did :( (i have anxiety)

Does anyone have any advice?

No real advice, but I have a similar issue with my Freckle.. he sneezes something terrible when I put fresh hay in (I tend to start sneezing with him). No other symptoms of snuffles and lungs were clear so vet suggested the dust free hay website. He has improved a little but haven't been using it for long and he lives next to rabbits who have normal hay, so he is probably still inhaling some particles. Think I am going to change him over to vetbed in his hutch and just have eating hay rather than hay everywhere as bedding so it minimises him sitting in what he's allergic to!

No real advice, but I have a similar issue with my Freckle.. he sneezes something terrible when I put fresh hay in (I tend to start sneezing with him). No other symptoms of snuffles and lungs were clear so vet suggested the dust free hay website. He has improved a little but haven't been using it for long and he lives next to rabbits who have normal hay, so he is probably still inhaling some particles. Think I am going to change him over to vetbed in his hutch and just have eating hay rather than hay everywhere as bedding so it minimises him sitting in what he's allergic to!

oooo what was the web site? I could try that? Vet suggested hay but couldnt offer a suggestion if it is that, anything is worth a go :D She is a tiny little fluffy lionhead cross and been moulting and it did cross my mind she might be allergic to her own fur :roll:

Im allergic to dust so we dust a lot and hoover. I only use sensitive skin and eco friendly stuff to clean with. Im totally at a loss :(

oooo what was the web site? I could try that? Vet suggested hay but couldnt offer a suggestion if it is that, anything is worth a go :D She is a tiny little fluffy lionhead cross and been moulting and it did cross my mind she might be allergic to her own fur :roll:

Im allergic to dust so we dust a lot and hoover. I only use sensitive skin and eco friendly stuff to clean with. Im totally at a loss :(

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/

I know, it's so stressful because you can't stop giving them hay so you feel stuck with it. I think you can also dampen the hay a little, so the dust isn't flying around the air. I was getting so worried about Freckle, even being in the garden on high pollen days (I know cos my hayfever was also bad on these days) made his nose watery :cry: Luckily that has stopped now the season has changed.

http://www.dustfreehay.co.uk/

I know, it's so stressful because you can't stop giving them hay so you feel stuck with it. I think you can also dampen the hay a little, so the dust isn't flying around the air. I was getting so worried about Freckle, even being in the garden on high pollen days (I know cos my hayfever was also bad on these days) made his nose watery :cry: Luckily that has stopped now the season has changed.

Thank you! I will check it out. Glad to hear freckle has improved. Hopefully Betty will soon. :)

It's usually the dander rather than fur that triggers allergies to pet hair, I don't think that would be an issue if it's her own fluff, or an animal of the same kind.

I would try and rule things out by changing what you use, so swap out any bedding/litter. Dust free hay is a good idea to try, you could also try readigrass which tends to be less dusty or even fresh grass (introduced slowly).

If she's inside it's also worth looking at any cleaning products you use or air fresheners.

It's usually the dander rather than fur that triggers allergies to pet hair, I don't think that would be an issue if it's her own fluff, or an animal of the same kind.

I would try and rule things out by changing what you use, so swap out any bedding/litter. Dust free hay is a good idea to try, you could also try readigrass which tends to be less dusty or even fresh grass (introduced slowly).

If she's inside it's also worth looking at any cleaning products you use or air fresheners.

Thank you for replying :)

I got into the habit of only using hay and no saw dust because my first bunny was allergic to saw dust. I will have a look for readigrass (we havent got access to real grass).

Im a bit odd too and have sensitive skin so we dont use harsh chemical cleaners or air freshener but I think you are right in maybe having a play with homemade cleaners (i found a book about them and have been looking for an excuse). Anything really to stop her being poorly. She seems to have been a lot better the last week or so since the weather change and I keep checking her paws and chin. She looks really silly at the moment because her colouring is changing and she gets darker circles around her eyes like she is wearing glasses :)

White vinegar is very good for litter trays - gets those stubborn wee stains :)

I fascinating watching Scamp moult - I think he likes to come up with a new weird pattern each day :lol:

Back