• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Vent! Rabbit being chased on It's Me or the Dog.

FondueKid

Alpha Buck
It's from years ago but I watched season two episode eight today on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxseZ9fT4pk), I've seen the episode before years ago but I'd not noticed this before and I almost didn't notice it today. But at 3mins 34s there is footage of the dog in question chasing a rabbit in the people's garden :shock: :cry: I rewound it several times to check that I was seeing correctly because I can't believe that they filmed this and thought it was ok to get into the final cut! Which supposedly means that they didn't say anything to the family about it. Or have a problem with it at all. I'm horrified, shocked and sickened. I cried at the time and I'm still feeling really wobbly about it. Probably there's nothing to be done because it is from so long ago, but I needed to vent about it. Sorry.

I have not watched this episode. Seeing as they showed the dog chasing a rabbit did they not take steps in the training to deal with it?

My dog is hard wired to chase, and it took a while for the rabbits to be able to be in the run without my dog giving them the sheepdog stare and trying to rush them to the end of the run (with the dog on the outside of course) He is good with them now and doesn't bother the bunnies, in fact he lays by the run and guards them, but stays calm when they run.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while its normal for dogs to chase rabbits, if they were going to show that scene, they should at least have given some training advice on how to distract the dog. It also sounds like the dog was allowed to chase the rabbit without the rabbit having the protection of the run. That is really irresponsible of the owners, and something surely that should not have been shown by the producers as the way to fix the situation didn't necessarily need to even involve the dog (place rabbit in secure run, danger averted).

It's a shame it is so old, otherwise you could have written to the producers, but I am not sure that would work now

It's not even presented as a problem. It's just a scene of the dog in the garden that's there while they're talking about what great pets german shepherds can be. At first glance it just looks like a scene of a dog playing until you notice the streak of the retreating rabbit (which you're correct is not in a run, they're both loose in the garden). The program is about stopping the dog chasing the guys children in the house, but what gets me is that someone was there filming the dog loose in the garden with the rabbit and presumably no one said anything and they were happy to just film.

Back