• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Broken ear? Advice please

Hi
Magic my Netherland dwarf picked a fight with one of my French lops again and had to go back to the vets to have a wound cleaned and glued. As she wouldn't leave it alone she had a buster collar - which she has had to have before and coped fine. When I picked her up one of her ears looked a bit odd but I figured it was just because of the collar.

Today I took the collar off and her ear is down, we have left her be for a few hours and its still down. She has been on pain meds, I had enough to give her a dose today.

She is eating and pooping fine. But she isn't 100% herself.

Her ear was up when we separated the rabbits and when I took her into the vets.

Could it be broken or sprained? Should I take her back to the vets tomorrow or wait another day or two to see if it stands back up (I probably have enough metacam for one more day)?

Have you separated her from the other buns? I would do this, especially if she keeps fighting with them.

I have no idea about her ear, I do hope she feels better soon. Jane will be able to give you some excellent advice. x

can she lift the ear at all?, only wondering as when my rosie netherland dwarf had a collar on as she went for her spey area, she learned to get her ears under the collar and ever since them days for a number of years, looked like she had spasms in her ears where one ear was down and she couldn't get it back up

She is currently by herself in a convalescing cage.
It wasn't her hutch mate she faught with, she managed to get out of her enclosure into the French lop enclosure - we keep the dwarfs and giants separate.

She has multiple bite and scratch wounds across her back but none are near her ear.

Bless her she had her face stapled a few months ago after another encounter with the giants and we thought we had sorted the enclosure out but turns out she is a spider bunny and was climbing the wall.

I have checked on her and she seems much calmer than this afternoon, I think taking the collar off spooked her because the tie got stuck and took a few attempts to get it undone.

Her ear still looks a little odd but she does seem to be holding it up a little more now instead of it being completely flopped at a weird angle

Here are are wounds
d5594f62b22bad8e187d4b348c4645c7_zpsd8c0c296.jpg

You can see in the collar where her ear is down.

If she is still holding her ear at an odd angle by tomorrow morning then I would get her checked over by a Vet. She may now have an ear infection.

Poor girl! Those giants really had a good go at her! :( I hope she manages to heal up. I would definitely have her back to the vet if her ear still isn't right. With so many injuries, her immune system will be working overtime and so she will more prone to infections/illness. Sending lots of vibes her way. I hope you've made sure she can never get in with the other buns again.

She doesn't look like a netherland dwarf :?

Thank you

No she isn't a true nethie, she is a mix with something but its simpler to call her a nethie :) she is tiny

Yes we are working on the enclosure, it was a huge surprise when we discovered she had got over because the fencing is pretty high

Thank you

No she isn't a true nethie, she is a mix with something but its simpler to call her a nethie :) she is tiny

Yes we are working on the enclosure, it was a huge surprise when we discovered she had got over because the fencing is pretty high

It's amazing where rabbits end up. I'd be terrified to keep two groups of rabbits near to each other, because of that! My bun, Fiver, is a total escape artist and can jump 4 foot straight up from a standing start. :shock: I've found him on top of a 6ft cage before...I still have absolutely NO IDEA how he got up there. :shock: He also managed to escape out of the pens at the boarders he goes to, thank god the neighbouring rabbits were shut up in their hutch for the night, otherwise, that could have ended pretty badly!

Keep us updated on her progress. :thumb:

She is looking much more perky this morning, I think she was fed up that she couldn't wash.

We decided to take the chance and leave her collar free over night as she hadn't nibbled. So she has had a good wash of herself. Wounds all look good.

Her ear is now standing up. Gonna see how she is at lunch time

Back