• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Will the moulting ever end?

luna

Mama Doe
Hi everyone,

Just wondering am I the only one with a bunny who's moulting seems to be going on forever. Bobby has been shedding for the last six weeks and just when I think it might be stopping it seems like it is getting worse again. I have never seen any thing like it. I am going around their cage with a wet cloth twice a day to catch all the hairs and I sit down with him every evening for a good wet groom and pluck all the loose hairs and both myself and my husband are astounded by the amount of hairs that come off. I have had Bobby since he was a baby 15 months ago and this is his first big moult. Is this normal? None of my other buns have ever shed this much. He is part lion head so he has thick hair, I wouldn't describe it as being long but it has a different texture to other buns, being slighty "woolly" if thats the way to describe it :?

I am worried that either him or rosie will get hair balls from consuming loose hairs . Can bunnies get gi stasis as a result of this? Many thanks for reading and hi to all :wave:

Anyone ? Just want to know if bunnies ingest too much hair can they get gi stasis? Thanks.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Yes too much fur can cause stomach problems. That's why I comb them with my fingers every day. Mine have been moulting for about 5 months, just when I think they are finishing the weather changes suddenly and they start another moult :(

George is going through a horrendous moult. He has never had such a loss of fur before but I think it's down to grief over losing Gemma. I worry about him getting stasis grooming all that loose fur and am hoping bonding him with Violet will help.

Thanks for the replies. I feel reassured now that I'm doing the best for Bobby. I sit down for a good while in the evenings and pull out Bobbys loose hairs. I think he understands that I'm helping him as he sits patiently while I'm doing it. :)

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Our hairy beast Bobo has been moulting all summer - and still is. I also get worried about him and stasis - and also his wife Harley who spends hours grooming him. But I think as long as they continue with a high fibre diet (ie. loads of hay) and drink plenty of water - then the hair should just pass through. Harley does do us some lovely 'bracelets' (poops joined together by hair) :thumb:

Will be happy when it's all over and done with.

I hate the moulting I have been to the vets with both buns this spring due to fur blockage. I worry so much about them, but I now have the meds and recognise the signs.... I brush them both and massage their tummies, everyday, to keep the gut mobile ... Plus I think Moley quite enjoys it ;)

Can't wait for this moult to end!

Busters been moutling for weeks and still going. White fur everywhere! I have to brush him several times a day and i'm constantly pulling hair off with my hands too. Whennnnn will it enddddd? :roll:

Bunchkin too! It's driving me mad, every time I pick him up for a cuddle I'm covered in hairs :evil:

Has anyone tried a 'Furminator' brush? They're pretty expensive but are meant to be great at getting loose fur out! I'm tempted but don't want to waste £20+ if they're not worth it!

Thanks for all the feedback , its good to know I am not alone and its not completely abnormal for Bobby to be moulting for this long. Would you believe he has kinda stopped now and within a day Rosie started hers . Oh it sucks :roll: At least she has very short little hairs, so short I am convinced she could have some rex in her because she also has a long pointy face?!

I was looking at Bobby yesterday and he looks much smaller now he has moulted. Poor guy, I think he has a bit of a complex about it. :lol:

I hope all your buns calm down with the shedding soon. I have not used the furminator brush before but I would be curious to try it out. I haven't seen any for sale in Dublin.

Back