• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advice

hamish

New Kit
Have a 1 year old mini lop buck.

This morning when I went to feed he ran over as always. however he had a little to eat and since then has been behind the sofa.

I have moved him out and he is alert and still hopping about. If have handed him some food and he has eaten it all be it slow. I have also handed him some fresh veg which he ate a small amount.

I have put him in a cage with hay, water, veg and some pellets. So that I can monitor what he is eating and if he is doing the toilet.

Should I be worried?

We have rabbit insurance which comes with a £75 excess, would prefer to hold off.

Thanks

So you're saying he's not eating as much as usual?
You're doing the right thing by keeping an eye on his water intake and litterbox. Make sure he has plenty of hay. If he hasn't pooped in a few hours then it probably would be time to take him to the vet. :)

I agree with Tessie, I think you're doing the right things. If he stops eating/pooing at any point, he will need to be seen by a vet asap. If he continues to eat and poo, then I would just pop him to the vets tomorrow. Get his teeth checked as it does sound dental, but it also could be a slow down of his guts/gas. Usually the first symptoms of dental issues, I have found, is having "off days" and refusing certain foods or eating very slowly. The buns I have had that do this, then seem to perk up quite a bit after a bit of metacam (pain killer) and then act and eat normally, until their next "off day".

Do you have any metacam? If you do, you could ring your vets and ask if they think it's worth giving him a bit.

I agree with Tessie, I think you're doing the right things. If he stops eating/pooing at any point, he will need to be seen by a vet asap. If he continues to eat and poo, then I would just pop him to the vets tomorrow. Get his teeth checked as it does sound dental, but it also could be a slow down of his guts/gas. Usually the first symptoms of dental issues, I have found, is having "off days" and refusing certain foods or eating very slowly. The buns I have had that do this, then seem to perk up quite a bit after a bit of metacam (pain killer) and then act and eat normally, until their next "off day".

Do you have any metacam? If you do, you could ring your vets and ask if they think it's worth giving him a bit.

We are at the vets.

Don't want to take any chances.

Home from the vets.

She didn't think anything seemed wrong. Maybe early stage of GI stasis, if anything. She felt he seemed alert and lively enough.
However, to be on the safe side the vet inject a pain killer and also something to help the guts moving.

Has also gave him Ranitidine oral solution to be taken once per day over the next 5 day.

Since then he has ate some kale and some hay. He picked up a bit. Now he is just relaxing on the carpet.

He does seem better though.

Hopefully it was just the beginnings of stasis and you have caught it early. :thumb: Did she check his teeth with a scope?

No she didn't check his teeth with any device on instrument.

Took weight, temperature and also heart rate.

He took his medicine and also we just syringed fed him some care food that they sent home with us.

No she didn't check his teeth with any device on instrument.

Took weight, temperature and also heart rate.

He took his medicine and also we just syringed fed him some care food that they sent home with us.

:? I would have expected her to check his teeth, but never mind. If, after he the painkiller wear off, his food intake decreases, I'd pop him back and specifically ask for the vet to check his teeth. :thumb:

Hopefully it isn't his teeth, though, and he is back to his normal self soon. :) How is he now?

:? I would have expected her to check his teeth, but never mind. If, after he the painkiller wear off, his food intake decreases, I'd pop him back and specifically ask for the vet to check his teeth. :thumb:

Hopefully it isn't his teeth, though, and he is back to his normal self soon. :) How is he now?

He seems a lot better.

Hoping about, cleaning, did about 10 poops, had a bit of hay.

Let the oter bun out the cage and he is now cleaning her. She's a bit of a diva and he panders to her lol.

Back