• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Spent the day with my dad improving the rabbit run

catpud

Warren Scout
It is now more secure, strengthened, has two layers of welded mesh instead of one, we made a second door on the top to improve access, added new fittings and removed some dodgy looking weeds from in between the concrete. It was great fun. Just have to re-bolt it to the shed tomorrow and it is all done.

I have been given a bag of my nieces old baby toys to through as well. She doesn't play with them anymore, so will have a look through tomorrow and pick any suitable, hard, rattling things to give the rabbits.

I have also realised that I have never put up any outdoor pics of my rabbits, they have always been taken inside the shed, and I don't have many of them outside for myself so I will have to get snapping some.

It was great to spend a day with my Dad, I don't get to do it often any more, and the rabbits will benefit from it for a few years to come. He is in love with Lexi and Lola, he spent the day talking to them and calling them cute lol

I need some new toy ideas though, there are only so many hay cardboard tubes they can take. They have a jungle gym with lots of different shop brought toys on the mesh panel of their shed but some of those are looking a bit worse for wear and I am out of work at the moment with 0 income (not signing on, living on my savings) so I could do with some cheap toys to make from things around the house / farm.

I was thinking of giving them an entire straw bale to dig in - they should like that, but does anybody else have any other ideas I can use?

This sounds awesome :D Can't wait to see pictures!

I don't have many great toy ideas for you... it sounds like they have everything they could want!

Sounds good :D

Do you have any edible trees? A few branches/twigs make great snack/play things. Also worth cutting extra and hanging them in the shed to dry for feeding later. Anything interesting to investigate is good, just things like old pots, an upturned box etc.

We have a couple of apple trees that give some good cooking apples, so I will steal some twigs from that and tie a few together as a hanging mobile type toy I think. There are a few old oak trees around as well, are the twigs from those safe?

Will have a route in the "bits and bobs barn" might find some old pipe in there.

I make little treat balls from loo roll tubes. You cut them into hoops about 1cm thick, and then kind of put them back together to form a small ball but hide a piece of veg within. (i hope this makes sense!). The buns have a great time throwing them around to try and get to the tasty thing inside.

Yes that makes perfect sense :thumb: I will try them out as well and let you know how they go down

Not sure about oak but apple certainly is :) You can collect the leaves and dry them for winter snacking too.

Back