• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making pine cones safe for bunnies

sillyrabbit

Wise Old Thumper
Collected loads this afternoon, but dunno exactly what to do before I can give them to Scar?

I know there used to be instructions on the pampered piggies website that involved an oven, but can't remember exactly :D

I remember reading something about this but, like you, I cant remember the details. I'm sure you had to do something else before putting them in the oven, or maybe you had to put them in the oven for 24 hours or something, I just seem to remember thinking 'what a faff!'.
I hope somebody gives the info though, as I'm sure I would now do whatever it is you have to do (now I've turned into crazy forage lady) :lol:

I don't tend to buy toys for our two anymore as they don't play with any of it?

Generally I give them a real good wash in warm clean water to get all the bits out. You'll be surprised how many bits come of a pine cone. Even when you think you've finished, more comes out so you'll need to be persistent.

I then dry them out for a few days on top of the boiler in the airing cupboard. Our two loves playing with them, throwing them about and gnawing on them. Worth the effort I think, and they're free!

I collected a load over summer for my lot. All I did was give them a good wash in clean water, then poured a kettle of boiling water over them and left them to air dry in the sun :wave:

Does this go for any pine cones. Cause I collected loads last weekend but all different types

No idea

Ok I left them in boiling water for about half an hour, washed them and then stuck them in the oven for like an hour

I did order some from Hay Experts but they were tiny and she just kind of looked at me like WTF are these when I gave them to her :lol:

Back