• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Settling in my new rabbit help

Newzealandwhites

Alpha Buck
I have managed to get my dream rabbit after a lot of searching, she is a white New Zealand Rabbit and just so pretty. I have a quick question we got her last Thursday, she is about 14 weeks, she is very shy and scared of every thing, she has a large home and I intend to let he free range for at least 4 hours a day, but at the im she just hides, I know rabbits are pry animals and she is doing this to protect herself, I know she is eating and drinking as I have hard poos in her litter tray. Is there any thing I can do to help her settle in ? thanks for reading

Spend time sitting near her and reading to her. It will get her used to the sound of your voice, and as rabbits are naturally curious, it won't be long before she starts coming out to investigate you. I would suggest that when she does though, don't start trying to make a fuss of her straight away, as it may well just scare her and send her back into hiding. Let her have a wander round you and sniff you a few times, and then just very slowly when she is by your hand, lift a finger to gently stroke her, but try not to lift your whole hand which may just scare her off.

Something else I find very useful for getting new bunny's to like you, is to put a jumper say in with her to lay on that you have worn, and then just leave it with her, but whenever you remember, put something nice for her to eat on it, and she will soon start to associate your smell with nice things to eat, and want to be near you then.

should I leave her in her cage as I think me taking her out to let her free roam is frightening her more

Are you able to attach a run to her cage (which I assume is a dog crate) (there are lots of useful pictures etc on here of what people have done). That way she can exercise but will feel safe in her own 'home'. When you've had her a few weeks, you can open it up and see if she will come out. Spending time, just talking to her, will help her settle in and win her trust.

(Although you are going to let her free-range for part of the day, she will still need a run attached to her crate for when she is confined. She really shouldn't be locked away in just a crate.)

she already has a run attached to her crate, she has about 12ft at the min but she is only small she will get more room when she is larger

Back