• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

any ideas on how to muffle thumping?

fiona0529

Alpha Buck
Daisy has been thumping most of the night. She's an outdoor bunny and the noise from her thumping on the wooden hutch is very loud. We've been out to check on her and she's fine, she just wants food. The bunnies were out on the grass yesterday so didn't get greens and herbs last night so she started thumping. Got up to check on her and she was fine. She came running to get her dinner. Again, she started thumping this morning wanting her pellets. It wakes us up and some of the neighbours have commented they can hear her. The hutch is packed with hay so food is there, just not the kind she wants! Anyone else had this issue and can recommend a way of padding the hutch to muffle the sound?

maybe put something padded on the floor under her normal bedding?

When horses kick the stable doors for attention you can put duvets and the like to pad the door and muffle the sound so its a bit easier to ignore them and reduces the risk of them harming their legs

not bunny tried and tested but the only thing i have to compare it to!

My last rabbit was a terrible thumper and I found the best thing to muffle it was pieces of old carpet.....sometimes 2 to 3 deep!....all over the floor of his cage.
I also glued some onto the walls of the hutch in case he kicked against them too.

I doesn't totally eliminate the noise but the neighbours were a lot happier:D

She is used to having her greens and herbs! Just because they have been out on the grass it doesn't mean they can't have their usual food, so I would give her it as usual. She's probably thumping because she is unhappy and feeling 'deprived'. My two would protest if fresh grass meant they couldn't have their veg etc. Try this and see if it makes a difference.

Back