• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Spaying opinions pls

Jem n Flo

Warren Scout
I had Flo spayed as she was a hormonal wench and shes since calmed right down, loves some fuss and attention and doesnt worry the dogs by charging at their ankles!!

So i was a total sucker on Weds and rehomed a lil lady who the shop say has not been spayed. Shes very sweet natured, although has tried nipping my knees a few times (Flo is obssesed with me knees too for some unknown reason), shes around 3-4yrs old

Should i have her spayed purely so she is at no risk of cancer, will i only be able to have the buns bond if they are both spayed, i dont like putting small furries under anaesthetic for no good reason so im a bit unsure whats best to do and would appreciate a few opinions please

Ideally she should have been spayed before 2 years to minimise the risk of her developing cancer, but then I'm sure not all bunnies that would develop this would do so before 2 anyway. If she were mine, I would certainly spay her straight away, not just to eliminate the cancer risk, but from what I have heard 2 female buns COULD be the most difficult combination, and so if they are both spayed it would at least maximise your chances of a good bond, and she may become a bit more of a madam when she has been with you a little longer. Would be great to hear how you get on.

I got a voucher for free spaying and having just read HoneyBear's praise of companion care (where the voucher is for) i will def do it

will be best for the lil bun :)

Definitely spay her. It better for her health and it would be extremely difficult to bond her. Also it stops them having false pregnancies which can be quite upsetting for them and you.

just to update, have booked molly in for spay next week but with my own vets

i know i got a voucher to do it for free but i feel ive known my vets for 20 odd years and if anything goes wrong then i have faith that they will do all they can, id feel awful if something went wrong at the p@h vets and id only gone there cos it was free

just to update, have booked molly in for spay next week but with my own vets

i know i got a voucher to do it for free but i feel ive known my vets for 20 odd years and if anything goes wrong then i have faith that they will do all they can, id feel awful if something went wrong at the p@h vets and id only gone there cos it was free

I think you made a good decision there :thumb: our dog tinka came from the RSPCA and she went back for free neutering and they made a right mess of it. I wish I'd taken her to my own vets :(

Sending vibes for Molly's op next week!x

Hope all goes well with her spay.

I had a pair of girls that I bonded (a long long time ago!)
It was a little more difficult to get them together but once they were bonded they were extremely close.

thanks, im so attached to her already that i need her op to go well!!

if they wont bond id just like them to be at the point of being civil on either sides of the babygate, flo has the conservatory and mol is in the kitchen but i have to rotate free time or shut the kitchen door if i want both out so would be nice to at least be able for them to both be out but polite if they are both by the gate

Back