• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How do you stop yourself getting more bunnies?

midori1999

Alpha Buck
I've got two pairs of bunnies and am hoping to bond them into a quad over the winter so I can link up their accommodation and give them more room. (Well, the rescue may well bond them for me...)

I'm not really looking for another bunny, but there are a pair of Rex boys at the rescue I'm in love with and my husband (stupidly!) pointed out an ad for a pair of seemingly well cared for neutered, indoor buns last night and one is a mini Rex and stunning. :love:

I am soooo tempted. I am busy as I have lots of children, dogs, cat and the bunnies, but I am lucky enough not to have to work. We're not loaded by any means, but could afford two more buns. However, we could have to move at any time and to anywhere really as my husband is in the army and although we will hopefully stay in the same city for another 2-7 years, if we do have to move it could be a logistical nightmare really with just four buns and the other animals. I also can't help but think 6 bunnies is rather excessive.

But I'm so tempted... How do you control yourselves? :oops:

If I had the time and money for more buns then I would have more :D but not, as in your case, if you may have to move suddenly or even have to rehome any - I just couldn't live with myself if I had to leave any of them. But if you would only be moving in this country and could take them all, I would probably be tempted.

By not having money saved up for emergency vet bills. Before I get a new pet I like to have some money already saved for it. If I did, I'd definitely have more bunnies!

If I had the time and money for more buns then I would have more :D but not, as in your case, if you may have to move suddenly or even have to rehome any - I just couldn't live with myself if I had to leave any of them. But if you would only be moving in this country and could take them all, I would probably be tempted.

I would never, ever rehome any of my animals unless it was totally unavoidable because of a life changing disaster that couldn't have been predicted. Wherever we moved, there's no doubt the buns would come too. It's unlikely to be abroad, but my husband already knows if he's posted to Germany I couldn't go as one of our dogs is a rescue and a staff cross, so if have to stay here. (Staffs are banned in Germany)

Space and money. I am always tempted but I know too many buns would would have an impact on the welfare of my current buns and I love them too much to risk that.

I have a list of things I tell myself:

I couldn't afford unexpected emergency vets bill for any more animals.
If i got them I wouldn't be able to give them more than the minimum recommended space
The space that they would take up would be appreciated by my current rabbits and it is my duty to make things as good as I can for the rabbits I already keep

I have stopped six because it is enough cleaning out/daily care for me to manage. Mind you it is always easy to fall in love with more. I find myself wanting a cat now!

Would dearly love a belgian hare or a tan. Also have seen a couple of agouti rabbits in a rescue on here which look like they have hare in them :love::love::love:

I could easily house more its mainly the work involved and giving them enough attention.

For me it is money.... I am at the maximum of my outgoings. I have been offered 4 buns recently and it was so hard to say no. Yeah I could stretch out the food etc but if they needed the vets I wouldnt be able to afford it x

Back