• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor hutch for two rabbits

maurice28

New Kit
Hi all,

First time poster here as my wife are about to adopt a couple of rabbits from the RSPCA. I have been looking online for suitable hutches but it seems a minefield! We obviously want to get something big enough for two rabbits to live in comfortably together, with a permanent run attached too. However, I'm struggling to find anything that a) seems big enough and b) has half decent reviews.

Would anyone have any links to potential suitable hutches and runs for two Dutch rabbits that they could possible share? Apologies if this seems lazy but I have been searching a lot and not really sure, and obviously want to make sure the hutch is suitable! I know the RSPCA would be able to advise as well but any advice from you kind people on here would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

The RSPCA probably have their own size requirements so it may be best to double check with them, but as a guide the rabbit welfare association recommend a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft hutch and attached 8ft x 4ft run for 2 medium buns.

I have hutches/runs from both the welfare hutch company and happy hutch and am equally happy with them.

You could get something like this:

http://www.happyhutch.co.uk/rabbit-hutch-and-run-combinations/70

They also sell a run extension which I also have so the run is 6ft x 8ft.

Or buy a seperate hutch and run and attach using a runaround tube.

Welfare hutch company built me a custom hutch of 7.5ft x 2.5ft for my pair and they've tonnes of room.
I also like the 3ft heigh runs. 2ft is fine for dutch rabbits, but there is alot more room for binkying with the extra height.

http://www.welfarehutches.co.uk/8ft_x_65ft_run_3ft_high/p1466125_10275304.aspx

http://www.runaround.co.uk/products/connection-kit-4

Welcome to the forum.

Hi,

The Rabbit Welfare Association has an excellent guide on hutch sizes. A 6 x 2 x 2 is the minimum recommended with a run of 8 x 4.

I don't know if i am allowed to link to sites on this forum, but there a number of places that provide hutches that size. Alternatively you could opt for a shed or wendy house instead.:)

Edit: Beat me to it Amy:)

If you have space, I would go for a shed. Sooooooo nice to be able to do cleaning out without battling with the elements (and it's nearly winter......).
Have a look at the outdoor housing sticky in the housing section!

Thank you all! Very helpful. The Happy Hutch link kindly provided looks promising, although we are lucky enough to have space for a shed so may consider that as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply!

If I wasn't renting I'd definately consider a shed - if only so I could keep warm and dry myself when cleaning them out in the winter! It does of course offer the buns lots more space. :)

I've got both a chicken coop (which I don't recommend), and a shed with attached aviary, and the shed/run-you-can-stand-up-or-sit-down-in option is by far the nicer in terms of both not getting wet and also spending time with the rabbits. And that's with only a few weeks' experience of the shed, I expect I'll be even more happy with it after a yukky, cold, rainy, snowy, windy winter.

Ive just brought a runaround connection kit and both a double storey 6x2 hutch and a 6x6.5 ft run from welfare hutches. I'd definately recommend them.

Niel at welfare hutches is really nice, and if your picky like me, he'll happily make alterations for you too. His runs are really nice and i dont think you can beat him on the price of those. - i certainly couldnt when i factored in delivery too. Plus on his runs you can remove the whole roof (its made of indivual panels of 6x2/2.5ft), whereas others i looked at had small hinged areas so it would be far harder to catch a rabbit if you needed to (i have one bun who will happily come to you and one whos not a "people" bun so hes very difficult to get when he needs his nails doing or to go to the vet, etc).

Last edited:
I decided on a kennel and run in the end. (although I have a Wendy house set up too) it was partly as we didn't have room for something as high as a shed, but I really like that the indoor area is very cosy and that the 'outdoor' area of it is also really sheltered, which is great for winter or bad weather and means they've got plenty of space as the kennel/run is 10ft x 5ft in total. I pop a whole bale of farm hay in the outdoor part and they have a great time digging in it and spreading it all over the floor, then making little 'nests' in it. I've also attached a run on the grass, (now double the size of the one in the pic) using a runaround tunnel and they have access to this during the day when I can keep an eye on them.

CF280DF9-54E7-4EA5-86FE-CACDD047DF14-15043-000010CEEF8C7692_zpscb3e4c5b.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who repiled to this! It turns out that one of our friends had an unused rabbit hutch which we could have. However, upon measuring it when we got it in our garden the measurements are:

Hutch - 5 ft 10 x 1 ft 10 x 1 ft 10

Run - 5 ft 10 x 3 ft 9 x 1 ft 10

So just a few inches short of the recommended guidelines! The RSPCA are coming to see it tonight but suspect they will tell us it needs expanding. Oh well, nothing lost if it needs changing, the rabbits come first after all!

Thanks again to everyone who repiled to this! It turns out that one of our friends had an unused rabbit hutch which we could have. However, upon measuring it when we got it in our garden the measurements are:

Hutch - 5 ft 10 x 1 ft 10 x 1 ft 10

Run - 5 ft 10 x 3 ft 9 x 1 ft 10

So just a few inches short of the recommended guidelines! The RSPCA are coming to see it tonight but suspect they will tell us it needs expanding. Oh well, nothing lost if it needs changing, the rabbits come first after all!

You could still get a shed and put the hutch inside for them to use as a bedroom :wave:

Unless absolutely necessary I would not get a hutch (I absolutely understand that in some circumstances only a hutch will fit space/finances). Being honest, I really dislike hutches for rabbits - and I have had hutches in the past but knowing what energetic spacey creatures they are, the more space the better. Whatever you get, forget minimum requirements - go for the biggest accommodation you can afford and are able to situate. More fun for you and the rabbits :) (I now have a kennel/run and both rabbits are free-range in the garden during the day with free access to kennel/run of course).

Back