• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Post-Neuter Care UPDATE 2 - the morning after!

myfriendpiegan

Warren Scout
So tomorrow's the big day... my little boy is being neutered :( I'm so scared but I know it's for the best.

I have had a read of the forum's post on neutering in the rabbit care reference section and note that it says to keep your bunny off hay bedding after his op and I'm not sure how to work this with my set up. Bunchkin has a Ferplast cage which is basically a glorified litter tray/hay trough. I line it with fresh newspaper and cover it with fresh hay daily. He has 24/7 access to this cage but only uses it to eat and go to the toilet (the first day I got him he decided his bed was on top of a storage box under my bed) :roll:

So my question is, will continuing his current set up be okay for the first 24 hours after his neuter? Or should I re-attach his hay rack and line his cage with newspaper only - or something else?

Last edited:
I would put a blanket or soft towels in for him to snuggle into, because the GA will slighter lower his body temperature as well and these will help to keep him snuggly and warm. Try not to worry, when my boys have been neutered they have come home and been their usual cheeky selves the same night. Boys recover much quicker. You should be given a 'Discharge/Post Op' care sheet, which I didn't read, and Dipsy was jumping up on to things, and then when I read it later, it said to not let bun jump onto things :roll:

Have some nice herby things for him to nibble on, but boys seem to start eating again really quickly. Will be thinking of you both today, hopefully you will have time to post later to let us know how well he is doing :thumb:

Last edited:
I would put a blanket or soft towels in for him to snuggle into, because the GA will slighter lower his body temperature as well and these will help to keep him snuggly and warm.

I agree with this, use something like towels or blankets or carefresh bedding and keep the hay in a hayrack or similar at first :thumb:

I would put a blanket or soft towels in for him to snuggle into, because the GA will slighter lower his body temperature as well and these will help to keep him snuggly and warm. Try not to worry, when my boys have been neutered they have come home and been their usual cheeky selves the same night. Boys recover much quicker. You should be given a 'Discharge/Post Op' care sheet, which I didn't read, and Dipsy was jumping up on to things, and then when I read it later, it said to not let bun jump onto things :roll:

Have some nice herby things for him to nibble on, but boys seem to start eating again really quickly. Will be thinking of you both today, hopefully you will have time to post later to let us know how well he is doing :thumb:

Thanks for the advice and kind thoughts :) I gave the vet a bag of basil and celery leaves, as well as his favourite pellets to tempt him with and will make sure he has more at home!

I will line his cage with lovely warm things :thumb: and I'll post when I hear from the vet :)

He's home, still very sleepy from the anaesthetic as he had his op around 3pm. Have made him a quiet, cosy corner with towels and blankets under a little table. He has water, pellets, hay, dried forage and fresh greens.

So far he had eaten a couple of pellets and little bit of the greens but not much. At what point need I worry about him not eating? Anything else I should be doing? Thanks :)

my boy charlie was quiet all evening but fine the next morning. he only ate leaves then slowly the hay :wave:

Snowflake was quiet all day and only picked at his food til the next morning. Hope he has a restful night and has a good hearty breakfast.

Hopefully he should be starting to eat by the morning. Do you have any critical care you could give him if he does not start eating of his own accord?

Hi everyone, he is eating! He's had lots of pellets, a few banana chips and some dried forage, as well as lots of greens :thumb:

Haven't noticed him drink at all, so gave him the greens very wet. He did a wee overnight, a few poos (not the usual big golden kind though) and left an uneaten caecal (I guess because his diet has been a lot richer). He hasn't eaten much hay either, he's had a small amount of pellets this morning and I'm going to hold off giving him anything else this morning unless he refuses the hay, in which case I'll offer some veg at lunchtime.

Otherwise still quite sleepy, no running around though he hops from bedroom to living room and has licked my nose a couple of times (Bunchkin kisses!) :love:

EDIT: finished posting this and re-filled his water bowl, he had a drink straight away :thumb:

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, I'm amazed at his speedy recovery! He's 100% back to normal less that 48 hours after the op :love:

Just have one quick question should anyone happen to pop back in here - Bun has one of those cardboard castles which he loves, I have put it out of reach as don't want him irritating the wound jumping in and out and he wants to know when he have it back? :lol: He has post-op with the vet tomorrow, should I ask her then?

Back