• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

explain colour terminology?

jasond

Young Bun
hi, we have a Chocolate Otter coloured bunny. He's brown.
What's all this Otter and Fox and Mantle and VM and Self stuff I keep seeing when looking at other bunnies & their descriptions? (we're looking into getting another....)

Otter rabbits are all one colour and then have a lighter underside, fawn.

Fox rabbits are all one colour and also have a lighter underside, steel.

Vienna marked rabbits look like mismarked Dutch rabbits, white blaze on their face and they may have blue eyes, they carry the blue eyed white gene.

Self rabbits are all one colour.

(I think) :)

Self is a pattern and means the coloured part of the rabbits fur is one colour and not banded like an agouti/tan rabbit, they can still have white patches though. Solid is when the entire rabbit is one pattern so it could be a fully agouti rabbit, a fully black/chocolate/blue/lilac rabbit, or a tan rabbit with no white

Otters have their main colour (black/blue/chocolate/lilac), then an orange/fawn colour in areas such as the inner ear, nose, chin, stomach and then after the orange/fawn is white. Fox rabbits don't have any orange/fawn, they're just black/blue/chocolate/lilac and white around the edges

Mantle is a type of marking where most of the rabbit is coloured but they have a few white patches underneith, usually a bit of white on their paws and a white stomach

Vienna is a gene where two of the gene cause the rabbit to be a blue eyed white, and one of the genes usually makes the rabbit (whatever colour/pattern it is) have a random bit of white on them, sometimes its a tiny white spot on their paw or nose, sometimes it can cause them to look like a Dutch rabbit

I thought that was a marten :lol: what's the difference between fox and marten, then?

Marten is used with sable (brown with very dark brown/black extremities) or smoke pearl (blue with very dark blue extremeties) coloured rabbits, but it is very similar to the fox colouring because they have white edging rather than being all one solid colour. There's an american breed called the Silver Marten but in the UK I think marten is only ever used for sable/smoke pearl rabbits

If you look at the first four names and pictures they show the difference between siamese sable, sable marten, siamese smoke pearl and marten smoke pearl :) http://www.springfieldrabbits.co.uk/colours.htm

Last edited:
Back