• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Xena is in pain. U/D Looking brighter, now we have poo problems!

Vegan_Bunny

Warren Veteran
There's something wrong with Xena. She is not right but I can't figure out what is wrong. She is eating, and enthusiastic about eating, but I have noticed a decrease in her hay intake. I've also noticed her drinking a lot less. She's been off for a few weeks but I just put it down to the weather.
Tonight, I had her and Fiver out and she has basically done nothing but sit in a corner grinding her teeth and squinting her eye (she only has one eye open due to an old injury). She has been in the litter tray eating hay, but nowhere near as much as usual. Every now and again she seems to "wake up" and start exploring the room, before settling back down in her corner.

She was vaccinated and had a good health check a few months ago (including her teeth checking) and she was perfectly ok. I've also given her a thorough check over and she feels ok, although her tum feels a bit odd. Her poos have been a bit large, smelly and wettish today, but I have no idea what this means and she used to get this before I put her on the probiotic pellets. It's NOT diarrhoea.

I'm totally bummed about this since I was going to be attempting a bond with her, Fiver and Shadowfax on Friday and have booked in a day's holiday with work for it. Not to mention that my poor baby is acting in pain for no apparent reason. :cry:

I am going to have to take her to the vet tomorrow if she doesn't perk up but her symptoms are so general, that I don't even know what I'd expect the vet to do. :( What could be wrong? I really hope I'm overreacting.

Last edited:
She could have a slight spur starting on a back molar it's surprising on how sometimes the slighest spur will make a rabbit react . We have had them not eat and sit and seem quite depressed to find they had the tiniest of spurs starting.

Hope she will be ok, sending Vibes from us all here at the Warren xxxxxxxxxxxxx

She could have a slight spur starting on a back molar it's surprising on how sometimes the slighest spur will make a rabbit react . We have had them not eat and sit and seem quite depressed to find they had the tiniest of spurs starting.

Hope she will be ok, sending Vibes from us all here at the Warren xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanx Maysie. This is my worry. My bridge bun, Ellie had the most sensitive mouth and would stop eating and lose weight rapidly with the tiniest of spurs/spikes. I don't know why, but this feel different. :? I hope it is something easy to fix.

I will be devastated if she doesn't pick up before Friday. I'll have to wait two weeks before I have the chance to attempt a bond.

Thank you everybody for the vibes and asking after her. :love:

She seems fine today and has been eating hay for England! :shock: I have no idea what was wrong with her. :? I think maybe the old batch of hay hasn't agreed with her...it seemed a little "old" and musty. I got an order of Ings yesterday and she's been having that today and her poo seems much better and she has been energetic and munching hay.
She really seemed to be in pain yesterday and it reminded me of when Fiver was acting in pain and it turned out to be arthritis in his hips. Hunching and grinding her teeth, or flopping and not seeming to get comfy.

I really hate rabbits...I must be clinically insane to want to attempt to bond another one to my pair. :lol:

Ok, so, since noticing Xena was in pain/uncomfortable, she's not been "right". Her poos seemed a bit off but they seem to be ok now, she's decided to lop her uppy ear, she's been quiet, sleeping a lot and scratching her ears more than usual. She hasn't shown any other signs of pain like before, no teeth grinding etc.
However, she is eating perfectly normally, is happy flopping, and when I let her out in the bedroom for the first time after being bonded with Shadowfax, she was racing about and binkying all over the place.

I've given her a thorough going over. Her eyes seem fine, her ears seem fine (although slightly warmer than I'd expect), her tum feels normal, her bum is clear, she's eating cecals etc. The only physical thing that I can find that has changed, is that she's put on 0.6kg! :shock: I wonder if this is the problem? She was aged at about 2 years old when I got her, but I am wondering if maybe she is older.

I was going to run her to the vets tomorrow, but tbh, I really don't want to. She hates it and I don't want to take her if there's nothing really wrong with her. The only thing they'd be able to do is take bloods, and I don't know if that is really needed at this stage.

Can anybody just give me their thoughts on this? I just want to know if taking her to the vets is the best thing for her, and if bloods would be worth doing.

I've no idea I'm afraid but I know what you mean about something seeming just not quite right. Every time with Ted or Rosie though, in the couple of days after tIs that what it is?hey've stopped eating so they've been straight to the vet and thankfully easily sorted (early stages of stasis every time).

I also hope Jane will come along for these types of threads, if she doesn't perhaps she wouldn't mind if you PMd her for her thoughts.

Sorry dont have any idea about what it can be (apart from teeth) but wanted to say how sorry I am that she isnt well. Hope it is something traceable and treatable x

Last edited:
Oh i hope she picks up. I would take her to the vets as you know when she's not right. I have no idea what's wrong but would be nice to get peace of mind. Im quite lucky though as doughnut doesn't seem to get stressed at the vets its only me.

Lots of hugs.

Ok, so, since noticing Xena was in pain/uncomfortable, she's not been "right". Her poos seemed a bit off but they seem to be ok now, she's decided to lop her uppy ear, she's been quiet, sleeping a lot and scratching her ears more than usual. She hasn't shown any other signs of pain like before, no teeth grinding etc.
However, she is eating perfectly normally, is happy flopping, and when I let her out in the bedroom for the first time after being bonded with Shadowfax, she was racing about and binkying all over the place.

I've given her a thorough going over. Her eyes seem fine, her ears seem fine (although slightly warmer than I'd expect), her tum feels normal, her bum is clear, she's eating cecals etc. The only physical thing that I can find that has changed, is that she's put on 0.6kg! :shock: I wonder if this is the problem? She was aged at about 2 years old when I got her, but I am wondering if maybe she is older.

I was going to run her to the vets tomorrow, but tbh, I really don't want to. She hates it and I don't want to take her if there's nothing really wrong with her. The only thing they'd be able to do is take bloods, and I don't know if that is really needed at this stage.

Can anybody just give me their thoughts on this? I just want to know if taking her to the vets is the best thing for her, and if bloods would be worth doing.

It sounds as though she may have an ear infection. The symptoms you describe fit very well with that. Personally I would get the Vet to take a look at her tomorrow XX

It sounds as though she may have an ear infection. The symptoms you describe fit very well with that. Personally I would get the Vet to take a look at her tomorrow XX

Thank you Jane. This was my thought, but her ears are not red and I had a good feel at the base and she didn't react with pain, I also couldn't feel any "crackling" that I have felt before in animals with ear infections. I will get her to a vet and ask them to take a look with a scope in her ears. If it is a an inner ear infection, will the vet be able to tell without xrays? Do you think bloods might be worth doing if nothing definite is found?

I do hope it's something easily treatable. :cry: It's so much worse when you don't know for certain what is wrong.

I have no advice I'm afraid but I know what you mean when you say you feel she just isn't right. I've had to argue with a couple of vets before who have said Ash is 'fine' when she was not. I hope you get some answers soon :)

I hope it's something simple to treat. If they can't find anything then I would get the bloods done as they will show if there is an infection or not. I would think the vet will probably give you some antibiotics if he suspects anyway without waiting for the tests.

Good luck.

Thank you.

It is her ears. :cry: This morning when I touched a certain place on both of her ears she started shaking her head violently. Her ears are hot, whereas Fiver's are cold. God, I hope that it isn't an inner ear infection. I've read up on ear infections and it's meant to be very difficult to shift them. Jane has said it's very unusual to get the infection in both ears, but she definitely reacted to both sides. :cry:
She's at the vets at 5pm.

Please send lots of vibes for her.

Sending lots of vibes for Xena xx Are you taking the whole trio to the vets together?! I need a quad sized carrier for vets visits now :shock:

Back