• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Neutering advice please! Bun savvy vet needed in Gr. Manc!

Meggles

Warren Scout
Burning need for advice sorry folks!
After discovering my boy buns testicles having dropped a few days ago me and my partner decided it best to have him neutered as soon as we can as he lives with his sister and has started trying to hump her. He became quite aggressive with her yesterday and we have had to take apart their housing to separate them. I have just phoned my local vet and they say they won't do it until he is six months old (he's currently between 15 and 16 weeks). I'm wondering if this is right? I'm a little bit upset because I've been reading everywhere that male bunnies can be neutered from 12-14 weeks, and my buns are very unhappy having been separated (they love each other very much) and it's killing me seeing them so sad.

Did any of you guys get your bucks done earlier than 6 months? If so, can you recommend a vet fairly local to Manchester/Salford that will do this?

Last edited:
I've had a buck done at that age, I would edit the title of your post to include rabbit savvy vet needed in Manchester/Salford, hopefully someone local can help :thumb:

Mine were done as soon as their testicles appeared.

Good luck finding a more rabbit savey vet.

I knew I was right about that! Didn't want to argue over the phone though, I doubt it would have changed their mind.

Ashleigh is actually only a few Metrolink stops away from me! My only slight concern is cost, how much would I be looking at? Money is tight at the moment :(

Yeah Levi was done at 13 weeks old. My vet only said that he needed to see them to be able to get rid of them. Some vets have issues with doing it young because of the dangers of the GA but Levi was absolutely fine.

Understandable I guess. I can see them so a vet should be able to, although he is very fluffy! :lol:

I'll be phoning Ashleigh in the morning to see what they say/if they can fit him in.
Thanks so much everyone! :love:

Understandable I guess. I can see them so a vet should be able to, although he is very fluffy! :lol:

I'll be phoning Ashleigh in the morning to see what they say/if they can fit him in.
Thanks so much everyone! :love:

They're fantastic! Good choice!

Just want to say thank you again for your help on this thread. I phoned Ashleigh today and they have my little boy booked in for tomorrow :) I'm a little nervous but I know it's the best thing to do and they'll love being able to share housing again in a few days. If it wasn't for you guys I'd still be going frantic finding somewhere I could trust! :love:

Back