• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Looking for advice

moonturtle

Warren Scout
Bojangles says, "Help me and my mom everyone."

Bo has an eye condition that is normal in rabbits, I cannot remember what it is called. She had surgery to correct it so she would not go blind in her one eye and now has to get ointment in that eye and eye drops in both eyes to keep this from returning quickly (it will return, but we want to keep it at bay.) She had the surgery in April and has been getting the ointment and drops ever since. She is normally really good about it and would let me pick her up and give her the meds with little or no trouble. Recently, she has been fighting me every time she gets the meds. She will run away when I go to pick her up, and when I finally do catch her, she wiggles and squirms and tries to run away. This has just started and the wiggling and squirming leads to scratching and fighting. I have to use a little bit of force to hold her down while I give her the meds. I am scared that she is going to hurt herself or I will accidently hurt her when I am using the force (it is not hard at all, it is just a little pressure to get her to hold still.) What does everyone suggest to get her to be more corporative at medicine time?

Can you put her medicine on some banana and let her eat that?

When I cut my bunnies nails I swaddle them in a towel so they cant kick out and hurt me or themselves.
This would work when giving meds as well because the bunnies legs would all be tucked away and just their head out of the towel.

I think holding them down while trying to force medicine in their mouth is going to scare them a lot.

I have a bunny with Glaucoma and she needs 2 types of drops and viscotears gel each day. She is a moody rabbit but copes well with the drops, mainly because I don't pick her up, I let her come over to me on the floor, give her nose rubs and a couple of pellets to keep her chilled and put the drops in. I keep stroking her nose for a minute or so after and offer her another pellet or bit of veg and then let her do her thing. this works for me :)

That is a great idea silverrabbit. I give her loves and treats, but I will have to try the floor thing. She was really good about it up until a month ago.

Back