• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making underground "warrens" with runaround tunnels

jemjabella

Mama Doe
Just wondering if this sounds feasible or if anyone has done anything like this...

Because our lawn is on two levels, it wouldn't be entirely impossible for us to dig up parts of the lawn (I've not suggested this to Karl yet mind you :lol:) and bury runaround tunnels to create authentic warren style hidey-holes / play tunnels.

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this and/or knows what the kind of risks/implications of doing so would be - i.e. what's the likelihood of the rabbits chewing through the tunnel and managing to escape somehow? Tunnel collapse perhaps - this could be prevented by keeping it just a couple of inches below ground I'd have thought.

Any thoughts?

I'd be too worried about one of them getting poorly and deciding to hide down one of the tunnels so you can't get to them.

On the runaround website one person had the metal tunnels buried into the ground but the tops lifted off so easy access which looked good.

I'd be too worried about one of them getting poorly and deciding to hide down one of the tunnels so you can't get to them.

On the runaround website one person had the metal tunnels buried into the ground but the tops lifted off so easy access which looked good.

Hadn't thought of that - thanks

Will have a look on the runaround website, not seen that. :thumb:

I've got one buried tunnel, it's only four ft long and runs into a storage box acting as an underground chamber, I can just open the lid of the box if I need to get at the buns in there. We are planning a run extension and remodel for next spring/summer and I'm hoping to add more of a run system with another couple of "chambers". It's great for giving a bigger and better run in an area I wish was bigger for them.

Sorry to hijack but can I ask fosterdog about your underground chambers, I had been thinking of doing the same thing but wondered how you connected the runaround tunnel to the, presumably plastic, storage box? Did you just use the runaround door? And do you find the rain runs down the pipe and into the chamber? Ooh I'm so excited this may be possible now you have done it!!!! I had talked myself out of it. Thank you. And sorry again jemjabella for hijacking.

I like the idea.

But if the ground gets waterlogged the Runaround tunnels have holes in so will get water inside - you'd need to check the groundwater level where you were planning to put the pipe. I wouldn't worry too much about them collapsing in the top couple of feet and I think it's pretty unlikely they'd be able to chew their way out!

I think Aly&Poppy's concern is valid, but can't think of a way around it...

It's use mesh, dig a trench, line bottom and sides with mesh and pop paving slabs on as the roof. That way in an emergency you can just lift the slabs. If you dug an inch or two deeper than necessary and filled the base with gravel that would help drainage.

I have a couple of tunnels for my buns and although they love running up and down them they never seem to sit inside them so wouldn't know if it was worth it to bury some. I would also worry abou tthe buns going inside and staying there, or getting stuck! My two got stuck in their tunnel once because they both ran in, one from each end, head first and then couldn't figure out how to manuevre round each other!!!! (once I 'd found them in there and realised it was quite funny!!
I've seen on here someone that had made some kin dof fake warren / maze inside their shed for the buns.. like small tunnels but with a wooden roof that just lifted off when needed.

Back